Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Newbie question not in the FAQ...

Old 10-29-2010, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are stuck in the mud and the motor quits, you can restart without using the clutch in the mud/water. At least my 09 JK can
Old 10-29-2010, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by desertdust
If you are stuck in the mud and the motor quits, you can restart without using the clutch in the mud/water. At least my 09 JK can
In 4lo specifically.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:47 PM
JK Junkie

I see you are in Phoenix, so most likely I've been on most of the trails you have been on. Getting to know how the vehicle handles will help you to determine when to be in what gear.

Most trails around can be done in 2H the majority of the time, but starting out it's a safe bet to keep it in 4H. Watch the trail ahead of you and if you see a difficult obstacle or mud, then go to 4L. Eventually you will know when to switch it. Take it slow and don't go alone and you'll do just fine.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

You can shift in and out of 4hi at a max speed of 55mph. That is not the top speed for 4hi. If you need 4hi you probably shouldn't be going much faster than 55, though. I almost always use 4lo on the trail. It's easier to just go to 4lo and let it pull me around. Less speed on the trail usually means less breakage. Slow and steady wins the race off road. I usually find that if I'm behind someone offroad and going up hill in 2 or 4hi and 1st gear (6spd) I frequently stall or am forced to ride my clutch which I hate doing. In 4lo and 1st gear I can let off of each peddle and just enjoy the ride. No throttle needed

Quick Reply: Newbie question not in the FAQ...