Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Newbie wanting to go offroad

Old 04-19-2012, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer335
dont want to break anything lol well gues you are not leaving the mall parking lot then
Shit I forgot your not hardcore unless youre tearing shit up. This is a stupid mentality. I wheel the shit out of my daily driven Jk and yj, here in Colorado and in Moab. The only thing major I've ever done was a cracked side step. I would love to see some of your hardore wheeling trip reports. If your breaking shit that often your irresponsible, and apparently forcing your way through obstacles.

Last edited by nortski3; 04-19-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by etracy21

Haha i actually decided to cancel my order for now for that reason (only 2000 miles on the 33s). Gonna spend the money on some rock rails/skid plates for now then save for a while for 35s/re gear/flat flares
Prob a good idea. You can always cut ur stock flares however u want for like $10 worth of door trim. I have 4in lift on mine with flats that I cut and my 35's look really small. I'll post a pic

Last edited by medic_23387; 04-19-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by medic_23387

Prob a good idea. You can always cut ur stock flares however u want for like $10 worth of door trim. I have 4in lift on mine with flats that I cut and my 35's look really small. I'll post a pic
Here you go I went really short but I love them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120419_235213.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	306814
Old 04-20-2012, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nortski3
Shit I forgot your not hardcore unless youre tearing shit up. This is a stupid mentality. I wheel the shit out of my daily driven Jk and yj, here in Colorado and in Moab. The only thing major I've ever done was a cracked side step. I would love to see some of your hardore wheeling trip reports. If your breaking shit that often your irresponsible, and apparently forcing your way through obstacles.
Could agree with you more, i would advice the newbie to go wheeling before spending the money on stuff you may not need and do it on stuff you like/use.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:49 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by geman
Could agree with you more, i would advice the newbie to go wheeling before spending the money on stuff you may not need and do it on stuff you like/use.
Find a local club and try wheeling with them...

Check out your local trails, it will give you a better idea what you'll actually need

I just went wheeling for the first time with my current jeep this past weekend

My jk is totally stock performance wide, I did trails that were probably skirting the 4 range

I learned that for my local trails my first investment won't be new tires but rather some armor for the underside

There is an AEV kit that is just over $400 and it will protect the important parts that aren't covered by factory skidplates

Matthew
Old 04-22-2012, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by etracy21
Haha i actually decided to cancel my order for now for that reason (only 2000 miles on the 33s). Gonna spend the money on some rock rails/skid plates for now then save for a while for 35s/re gear/flat flares
Right, agree, good move.

Protecting the undercarriage is always a good idea. i'm planning to go with the evo protek system which covers the oil pan and transmission. other than that, i'm set, for now anyway.

along with what others have said though, it depends what you're doing and on what terrain, so always good to go out and see first... of course, responsibly (and with a friend).
Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

I go often in spring lake area...
Tons of trails there..

Quick Reply: Newbie wanting to go offroad