Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Off Road Trailers & Towing

Old 12-01-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK44M
I like that set up. I will have to check them out.
From what I hear, they are back on sale for $3k at Costco.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I wish the trailer was a little longer. Looks like it is 6 1/2 FT. I was thinking of either making or buying a 10FT utility trailer. It doesn't look like they sell the tent alone. I may still have to stop by Costco and see if they have them in stock so I can check it out.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shockwaveaz
You know your just going to pull out your measuring tape and fab one. My turn to build... Lol

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk.
Ya know...actually I have thought about it..
Old 12-02-2010, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

So are you guys towing over a long distance? I have been thinking of building a trailer for trips but I have 513's, 35's and an auto. When I turn my overdrive off I'm turning about 3000 rpm @ 60. I couldn't stand that on 1000 mile trip.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Calilove1
So I'm going from a much larger 4x4 into my JK unlimited and I'm struggling to figure out how the heck I'll go camping with the whole family ever again. I think my answer is a trailer but I don't want to break the bank doing it.
A trailer is the way to go but the only choices are to build your own or pay $7,500-$10,000. A far second is a roof rack.

When I get back to the states full time I'll be building a trailer but till then I take two vehicles family camping and set-up a base camp.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeep_n_co
~$150 matching rims (probably need for any trailer build)
~$100 (used) to $200 (new) matching tires (again, likely any build)
~$300 new custom 3500 lb drop axle and 5.5 on 5 hubs
~$300 new hitch arrangement
~$0 ditch the old fenders

That's where I will be with my Lifetime. The great part about this is the ability to build it up as I go. Right now, half of these parts are in my garage, waiting for the other half, and I still have a functional trailer. All told, I will be into this for less than $4k (granted, I ordered it when it was on sale for $3k)

Best part is, I can haul an ATV on top if I want, or 900lbs of whatever I can fit on it. Also, I no longer need to beg/borrow/steal a friend's truck if I have a large load, I can convert to a utility trailer in 10 mins.

PM me if you want to come by and take a look at one... I am VERY local to you.
You sold me on the upgrades, do you have part numbers or links to the axle or hitch upgrades? I'm looking for it to be able to haul logs for firewood so the off road/hitch articulation would be key as well as the beefier axle and tires.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Calilove1
So I'm going from a much larger 4x4 into my JK unlimited and I'm struggling to figure out how the heck I'll go camping with the whole family ever again. I think my answer is a trailer but I don't want to break the bank doing it.

My options:
1. Adventure Trailer- $10,000 + (I wish but no way I can justify it) No idea how much these weigh.

2. M100 or M416 Trailer- Seeing prices from $400 to $1200 depending on condition but not finding many local options and shipping seems high: I like these as they are really light, under 600 lbs empty, and small in size.

3. M101A1 or A2- 3/4 ton Trailer and I'm assuming about 1300lbs empty... I can find these just about anywhere and can get a decent one and local for $500 or less.

What is too much weight to tow... I know the JK is rated for more then 1500lbs but I want to tow offroad and not have any worries of even taking it over a trail like the Rubicon.

Any ideas or comments from my fellow JK'ers that tow an offroad trailer?
Look for a built trailer that's lighter. I just sold mine for 800 and it's probably still in the want ads here if you look. It ran 34" tires and had a 3500lb rating with a swing away door and an additional ice chest mount up front. You can find them and my JKU towed it like it was nothing!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo11
Did any of you debate getting a roof rack instead? Eager to hear your pros/cons on the trailer vs. roof rack debate.
Roof rack = very high center of gravity. If you load it, don't plan on any off-camber trails.

Moderate logging road wheeling won't be a problem however.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Roof rack = very high center of gravity. If you load it, don't plan on any off-camber trails.

Moderate logging road wheeling won't be a problem however.
I have mine permanent on my RR and have been in the jungle trails a lot, no issue at all. Actually many trails you cannot do with a trailer so........

Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to find a used Sierra Trailer and then converted it to fit my needs. I'm into it for just under 6K.

Quick Reply: Off Road Trailers & Towing