Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Offroading question: disconnect sway bars?

Old 07-22-2008, 10:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Offroading question: disconnect sway bars?

Just heard someone say something about this on a youtube clip. So when offroading, disconnect the front and rear sway bars or something? Just undo it with a socket wrench?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disconnect the FRONT sway bar. If you are still on the OEM setup, a wrench and a socket work great. If you go very often, consider some "quick disconnects". There are many brands and styles offered, but basically they replace the need for a wrench by utilizing a lynch pin. I have the "JKS Quicker Disconnects" which are as easy as any out there, but what I like is that they are adjustable in length...meaning if I ever change my lift, I can dial them in for the new height. They were about $125.

Also, after disconnecting (removing) the sway bar links, push the sway bar up and out of the way as much as possible. On the JK's, there is enough tension on the bar where it will stay out of the way, but you may consider using some zip ties to double secure it there...personal choice. I have not had any problems with mine moving back down during wheeling.

I haven't heard of anyone disconnecting the REAR, and would suspect you'd have an impossible to control vehicle at that point likely to tip over.

The main idea behind disconnecting is to allow the tires to keep in contact with the ground without leaning the body to the same extremes. You will also notice that more of the ground rocks and surface irregularities are not transmitted into the body...not shaking you as much. It will sometimes feel like you are 'floating'.

And...DO NOT GET BACK ON THE ROADS DISCONNECTED. GOING OVER SAY 30 MPH WILL HAVE YOU ALL OVER THE PLACE AND COULD CAUSE AN ACCIDENT.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thx. I'll have to try this out when I go wheelin' again next month.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:37 AM
JK Freak

Here's a photo of how I took care of mine this past weekend at Rausch Creek. I just removed the bottom bolt of the sway bar link and zip-tied the link to the bar. I only disconnected one side. I experienced great flex and it probably helped me out on a few of the trails, including this shot from Yellow Jacket.

Those of you who are experienced wheelers, is disconnecting like I did a bad choice? Will that cause any problems if I continue to wheel like that? As I said, I didn't have any issues with it this weekend but that may be me getting lucky.

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:49 AM
JK Junkie

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...nnect+sway+bar
This saves you a lot of money! I have used this setup and it works great!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...nnect+sway+bar
This is how to disconnect your sway bar if you have the factory bolts still in place.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

It's funny how some people believe their vehicle will not roll over with the front disconnected but will with the back disconnected.

Totally, untrue!...but will vary according to terrain as well as driver experience.

Unless it's a steep off camber, most of the time I have the front disconnected with the Edisco and the rear is completely off.

Many do not recommend this practice, but depending on the severity and degree of trail, you will notice the ride is much smoother.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Big D2
It's funny how some people believe their vehicle will not roll over with the front disconnected but will with the back disconnected.

Totally, untrue!...but will vary according to terrain as well as driver experience.

Unless it's a steep off camber, most of the time I have the front disconnected with the Edisco and the rear is completely off.

Many do not recommend this practice, but depending on the severity and degree of trail, you will notice the ride is much smoother.
I've really never heard anyone talk about the rear, so was speculating. Would like to hear more comments from people that have done this.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

I guess I missed this conversation somewhere. I do have a little rubbing when turning sharply, but from looking underneathe...it appears to be the front bend on the sway bar that is hitting...you can see the same rusty rub in your picture.

I'm going out tomorrow, so I'll be looking for the puncture point you describe.

I still have not seen the sway bar move on it's own...it seems to stay where it is left if nothing pushes on it from the vehicle or ground. Are zip ties or bungee cord necessary?

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 03-17-2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: removed quoted text
Old 07-24-2008, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Big Clint
I've really never heard anyone talk about the rear, so was speculating. Would like to hear more comments from people that have done this.
Well, with both sway bars not functioning...basically the front ediscoed or manual disconnect and the rear off the suspension is able to work a little more effectively on allowing the tire to follow the terrain.

What I've done and many here too. With the installation of a mild lift, 2.5 RC BB in this case, longer sway bar links were needed in the front to prevent the front links from hyperextending themselves. So I moved the rears to the front and took the rear completetly off.

The difference in ride on the trail is like night and day. A common misconception is that it will improve flex. It does not. It just allows oppostite ends of the axle to be at their extremes more easily. Basically, the swaybar acts like a heavier spring when opposite ends of the axle are rotated to their extremes.

Onroad, you do notice a slightly greater lean especially from the back end.

A sway bar is designed as an antiroll device that is incorporated into the vehicles safety systems. If you do decided to remove it do so at your own risk.

But, as always, the choice is always yours, and there is always compromise.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:49 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Clint
I haven't heard of anyone disconnecting the REAR, and would suspect you'd have an impossible to control vehicle at that point likely to tip over.
I personally have never felt the need to disconnect the rear, though I go off road with several people who disconnect front and rear. When going slow, they still have control over the vehicle, and their rear axle articulates more. My personal take on the matter is that if the front wheels can drop further as you enter the obstacle you can maintain traction. By the time your rear wheels get to that point in the obstacle, the front end is able to pull you through and rear articulation becomes less of an issue. With only the front disconnected, on the faster parts of the trail you at least have the rear sway bar connected to maintain some sense of stability. IMO front disconnect suffices, but big articulation of both axles looks cool.

Quick Reply: Offroading question: disconnect sway bars?