Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

oil change 101

Old 03-09-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20 ft. lbs. on the old Oil Pan Drain-Plug. Found this on main page right here, Project JK what's new. ( Great write up!)

Another question needs asked, since the filter is vertical is there a flow back valve built in the filter. I thought I read that somewhere?

One thing I plan to do since I upped for the "Lifetime Warrenty",(bumper to bumper), is I plan on always buying my filter from the dealer. Heck that way I can show I'm changing the oil regularly and I have a paper trail from the dealer. ( Might be paraniod, just my idea.)

Old 03-09-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JKJeeeep

One thing I plan to do since I upped for the "Lifetime Warranty",(bumper to bumper), is I plan on always buying my filter from the dealer. Heck that way I can show I'm changing the oil regularly and I have a paper trail from the dealer. ( Might be paranoid, just my idea.)

I do the same
Old 03-09-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKJeeeep
20 ft. lbs. on the old Oil Pan Drain-Plug. Found this on main page right here, Project JK what's new. ( Great write up!)

Another question needs asked, since the filter is vertical is there a flow back valve built in the filter. I thought I read that somewhere?

One thing I plan to do since I upped for the "Lifetime Warrenty",(bumper to bumper), is I plan on always buying my filter from the dealer. Heck that way I can show I'm changing the oil regularly and I have a paper trail from the dealer. ( Might be paraniod, just my idea.)

The filter is horizontal. not vertical. It sticks straight out of the front of the engine, next to the pulley.

I keep hearing about a flowback/drainback valve in the filter. But I looked down the center hole of the Mopar filters that I use and don't see anything that looks like a valve.

I use the Mopar filter for two reasons. I was getting a knock on start with the Mobil1 fliter I used. It went away with Mopar.

And as you noted, there is a record of filters purchased from my local dealer.

Last edited by berg; 03-09-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:47 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry I ment horizontal......Brain cramp i guess!

Your symptoms sounds like there could be a drain back in there some where? Anyone have more info on this?

Great site by the way.

You all Rock!!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kflash
I also pour oil into the new filter before installation. A neighbor told me he has never done this and has change his own oil his whole life. What is he doing to his motor by not doing this?
not a thing. my bmw 's oil filter housing was vertically mounted above the engine. I.E. no way to keep oil in it even if you wanted to pre-fill, and it wasn't a canned filter. Not to mention it was the biggest damn thing i've ever seen. almost 7qts for a 2.8L engine.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Great write up. Glad it is easy to get to everything.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

Did my oil change yesterday, poured 6 quarts of oil as specified by the manual, now the level is a bit higher then the safe zone, goes almost to the top of the "bent area" on the dip stick. Should I drain some oil?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never heard of pouring oil in the filter before installation sounds like nonsence to me
Old 06-14-2009, 12:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NIVA
Did my oil change yesterday, poured 6 quarts of oil as specified by the manual, now the level is a bit higher then the safe zone, goes almost to the top of the "bent area" on the dip stick. Should I drain some oil?
Did you run the the engine before checking the level? By the time the oil gets into the nooks and crannies, it will go down a little.

I'm assuming you changed the filter. If you didn't, first off - shame on you! Secondly, it holds a fair amount of oil, so 6 quarts would indeed be too much.

Do NOT use less than the recommend amount.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Did you run the the engine before checking the level? By the time the oil gets into the nooks and crannies, it will go down a little.

I'm assuming you changed the filter. If you didn't, first off - shame on you! Secondly, it holds a fair amount of oil, so 6 quarts would indeed be too much.

Do NOT use less than the recommend amount.
Yeah i changed the filter. I left the car overnight and checked the oil today to see if its different from what i saw yesterday after the oil change. I guess I will have to go get dirty and drain some oil.

Quick Reply: oil change 101