Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Popped out of 4 Low??

Old 12-20-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popped out of 4 Low??

So I was going through some jeep roads by my house and we encountered what looked to be some deep mud, so I put the transmission into neutral and popped into 4 low, and put it back into drive, no problems. I was going through the mud, which was in a turn btw, and all of a sudden the transfer case shifter snapped forward into what looked like neutral. So I put my transmission into neutral and tried to pull back on the lever but as I thought, it wouldn't budge as I was not moving. So I put the transmission into park so I could turn off my jeep and as it hit the gate for park it made a grinding noise, I wouldn't say horrible because I have heard horrible grinding, but it was a grind none the less. I shut the jeep off and was able to easily slide the transfer case shifter into 4 high and was able to turn the jeep back on and be on my way. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen, I'm thinking it wasn't in the 4low gate all the way but it really beats me and none the less I'm pretty terrified of putting it into 4 low again haha.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

You take yours to the dealer yet?

You are not the only person that has issues with it staying in 4 low. 2nd trip to a dealer was today same answer we drove it around the parking lot and could not get it to come out. Yes parking lot as in dry pavement
Old 02-29-2012, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Mine is very stiff going into 4-lo and would grind a little bit. I put it in 4-hi, get it rolling and shift it into N while rolling and put it in 4-Lo. It went in very smoothly
Old 02-29-2012, 04:30 PM
JK Junkie

I have had this problem, even snapped the 4wd drive handle from the cable. Thank God for warranties. Anyways, I have a Manuel and have found over time that I have to ride the clutch as I put it into 4wheel low. It really seems that it takes practice, practice, practice to get this right. I also think that one of the best things you can do it practice it with a mechanic from your local dealership. That is what I did.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had issues shifting into 4 low when I first got my '08. Found it works best when you are going about 5 mph, then shift transmission into neutral (while still rolling), and shift into 4 low. You shouldn't have to force it. It should slide in like butter...I learned the hard way.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine did this the first time I took it out. Was in a little bit of an off camber situation so my first thoughts were...
Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine did it the other day. We were in a dry creek bed and there was quite an incline to get out. I put it in 4lo and "pop", right out and into neutral. The wheels lost a little traction and I was a bit off camber just before it happened.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

My 2012 has popped out of 4-low several times. When I pull the shifter lever back, it doesn't come all the way back. There is about a half inch gap between the lever and the back of the slot. Is that normal? Is it acceptable? I'm wondering if it is fully engaging in 4-low.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 03-02-2012, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, took a while to get some posts in here haha. Good to know I'm not the only one experiencing a problem. I tried going from 4hi to 4lo on dry pavement in neutral barely rolling, less than 5mph, and it was grinding, so I stopped trying to get it into 4lo. I'm not new to manual t-cases, my ram had one and I had no problems, not even a little grind so this beats me. I'll probably take it to the dealership when I get some time and have them look at it. What freaked me out was when the t-case was in neutral and I went to put the auto shifter from drive to park, the tranny (not the t-case) made a grinding noise, which I'm pretty sure it shouldn't have.

Last edited by slinky; 03-02-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 PM
JfK
JK Enthusiast

I never had any luck putting mine into 4-LO while the jeep was rolling at 3ish mph. It would always pop out of gear and everything was a big loud grinding mess. Almost always after it popped out it took a lot of work to get it out of the neutral gate. I found it slips right in while stopped with my foot off the brake.

Quick Reply: Popped out of 4 Low??