Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Proper Manual Techniques

Old 07-11-2008, 11:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Manual Techniques

I know there is a lot of info already posted, but I have some specific questions that I hope to get answered. There is no better place than all the experience on this site. Thanks in advance to any help offered!

I think the general consensus is to put it in 4Lo and Never ride the clutch. With that said, because I have smoked the clutch a little too much recently...

(All questions are trail riding questions)
What is the proper driving technique when going up a steep grade then a small flat that directly goes into another steep grade?
Do I stay off the clutch and let it roll with a small amount of gas, if needed?

If I am traveling over a cluster small quick hills where there are ruts between each hill, do I put my foot on the brake and let off just before she stalls?
I tried this, but I continued to stall time after time.

Last Question:
If I was going down a steep grade, should I be in 4Lo covering the brake, or can I be in neutral?
For some reason, I was under the impression it wasn't the best idea to be in neutral going down off an obstacle or hill.

I am aware that 4Lo is very forgiving when it comes to stalling.

Any help will be appreciated, and thanks again!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The Pros...

All the pros say to never use the clutch, not even to start the Jeep, or to put it in reverse. A Jeep in 4-Lo can be started without the clutch (the interlock is defeated). To reverse, shut it off, put it into reverse and restart it without using the clutch (while it is running, OK to use to move shift lever).
Old 07-11-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

What is the proper driving technique when going up a steep grade then a small flat that directly goes into another steep grade?

correct I just little bit of gas pedal on the flat section until the next hill comes up if the section is rather long I shift to a different gear then back to the desired ear for the hill when it comes up

If I am traveling over a cluster small quick hills where there are ruts between each hill, do I put my foot on the brake and let off just before she stalls?

when I travel over ruts I am off and on the gas allowing the engine to brake me

Last Question:
If I was going down a steep grade, should I be in 4Lo covering the brake, or can I be in neutral?
For some reason, I was under the impression it wasn't the best idea to be in neutral going down off an obstacle or hill.

in 4lo and first gear your jk will use the engine to assist you in going down hill with braking if you fell you are going to fast depending on the hill you can cover the brake with your foot and ease the brake pedal ( not applying as normal ) to act as you where to just creep from a stand still with a auto as a reference
Old 07-11-2008, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm a fan of staying in 4lo first or second gear when decending hills. If you think you need to brake, keep it in first. I almost never have to brake regardless when I'm in 4lo first gear.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:02 PM
JK Super Freak

So even just to start the jeep you say to throw into 4lo and start it and then shift out?
Old 07-11-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

you can start the jk in 4lo in 1 gear depending on where you want to go and the ground you are on yes shift to another gear

I dont recommend trying to start with the clutch in a mud hole don think the starter got that much power
Old 07-11-2008, 05:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dburgette

When going up a steep grade, i have the TC in 4LOW, put the tranny in 2nd gear (in 4low you can start rolling in 2nd gear), and give it some go-go pedal up to about 4000rpm. Dont get off the gas pedal until you reached the top, as soon as your front wheels roll over, let of gas and slowly pull over the hill.

Also just an FYI, if you are not rock crawling you dont have to start in 1st gear, while your TC is in 4Low. Just put it in second and slowly let the clutch out, you dont even need to push on a gas pedal.

I usually just go slow in 1st or 2nd gear, and if i need to slow down, I just push the clutch pedal.

When going down a steep grade, just switch the TC in 4Low, put the tranny in 1st gear and slowly let the clutch out. The engine will brake for you, and if you feel its speeding up, just assist a little with brake pedal.

Originally Posted by SiliconTi
All the pros say to never use the clutch, not even to start the Jeep, or to put it in reverse. A Jeep in 4-Lo can be started without the clutch (the interlock is defeated). To reverse, shut it off, put it into reverse and restart it without using the clutch (while it is running, OK to use to move shift lever).
Yes the Jeep can be started while in 4low 1st gear, but i would not recommend starting it if the water is up to your rocker panels. I personally had to get my starter replaced because it was shorted out.

The 4low 1st gear start feature was intended for ROCK CRAWLING, not mudding in water holes. That way when you stall while climbing the rock, you just leave it in 1st gear, start it, and keep going over the rock without rolling back down and off of it.

Last edited by Seryoga; 07-11-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Junkie

Default Advice!

You know, I have owned a manual for about 15 years (Mustang), but I never knew all the different aspects of driving a manual off-road. I love driving a manual, but I think it will take a lot of practice to really become comfortable with all the tips. Thanks so much for any and all advice!

So from what I have heard, you should almost never touch the clutch? Should I shut the engine off when I want to get out and take a picture or stop for a moment on a trail?
Old 07-11-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Freak

Well you need to touch the clutch when switching gears.

And you dont really have to shut the engine off if taking a picture. I usually keep mine running, unless i've stopped on a hill, and since my e-brake doesn't work, i have to leave it in gear.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:02 PM
JK Super Freak

mmm I kinda have a similar question relating to this, it may seem very newbieish, but thats what I am! I was offroad and put the TC in 4lo and started climbing up a rockface. When i wanted to stop to turn the wheels I tried putting my foot on the brake to stop it, but it wouldnt stop, it was like the 4lo was fighting against the brake and not letting me stop. The only way I could bring it to a stop was putting in the clutch......is this the right way? or am I doing something wrong?? Thanks all

Quick Reply: Proper Manual Techniques