Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Proper Manual Techniques

Old 07-11-2008, 09:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07Rubi2dr
mmm I kinda have a similar question relating to this, it may seem very newbieish, but thats what I am! I was offroad and put the TC in 4lo and started climbing up a rockface. When i wanted to stop to turn the wheels I tried putting my foot on the brake to stop it, but it wouldnt stop, it was like the 4lo was fighting against the brake and not letting me stop. The only way I could bring it to a stop was putting in the clutch......is this the right way? or am I doing something wrong?? Thanks all
you'll have to press the clutch to stop (or turn off the engine). period. 2hi, 4hi, 4lo whatever... leave it in gear and press the brakes all you want it will fight against the brakes until the engine stalls. so if you do manage to get it stopped without pushing the clutch in, make sure to turn the engine back on before you start trying to go again.

i don't really understand all of this hating on the clutch pedal... i think it's a much better instinct in a hairy situation to go for the clutch than the brake. i for one know i've been in a few situations where i had two options:

press the clutch, disconnect power from the wheels and start to roll backwards off of the obstacle

or

press the brakes and risk shifting the weight of the jeep violently possibly sending me rolling (not on the tires) down a hill.

granted neither option is really ideal, i'll stick to the clutch.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SiliconTi
All the pros say to never use the clutch, not even to start the Jeep, or to put it in reverse. A Jeep in 4-Lo can be started without the clutch (the interlock is defeated). To reverse, shut it off, put it into reverse and restart it without using the clutch (while it is running, OK to use to move shift lever).
One problem here you will burn out the starter really fast this way. Then you will be stranded. Not the best Idea.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jordo89
you'll have to press the clutch to stop (or turn off the engine). period. 2hi, 4hi, 4lo whatever...

i don't really understand all of this hating on the clutch pedal... i think it's a much better instinct in a hairy situation to go for the clutch than the brake.
Agree, i'd rather press my clutch, then burn it, and stall your engine.

BTW i've heard that its not healthy for the engine when it stalls.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Now I have never wheeled out west but I have a clutch in Rubi and since I have driven manuel trans cars, trucks and even big rigs, it is second nature to me.

What I have done in my Rubi so far I would not considerr haveing an automatic. Being able to crawl and just tip in the clutch with giving the vehilce no gas is easy as can be. Going down steep grades in a low gear is a piece of cake, I can not imagine an auto holding this well.

With the rubi case in low you can have the hand brake on and let out the clutch and the jeep moves and you can then release it.

I would never give up my stick unless it was a mall crawler for my wife then it woudl be an auto but then it would be a Serarra also cause then the painted fenders would be ok cause they would never get scrateched cause they would never see a trail.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SiliconTi
All the pros say to never use the clutch, not even to start the Jeep, or to put it in reverse. A Jeep in 4-Lo can be started without the clutch (the interlock is defeated). To reverse, shut it off, put it into reverse and restart it without using the clutch (while it is running, OK to use to move shift lever).
I don't understand why using the clutch is a bad idea. In water, yes, bad. Otherwise.... what's the reason?

When I'm in 4Lo, I often take off in any gear from 2nd to 5th, almost as I would in 4Hi and 1st. I don't need to ride the clutch to do it (rubi TC).

I find that starting in 4Lo and 1st results in a jumpy start... it kinda lurches. I'd much rather keep my right foot on the brake, left foot slowly letting out the clutch in 4Lo + 1st... much more controlled, IMO.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have found when crawling, starting the jk in 4low is very helpful gets ya rolling, pretty easy...i have also used the clutch...but it all depends on what type of trail you are on....super steep and trying to press clutch, hold brake and a little gas sometime makes for a fun ride.....not...as the jeep rolls back, and hopefully your fast enough and dont mess up, and loose forward progress, and wheel traction causing to roll over.....but i guess thats the risk, if you want to play got to pay.....i hate paying cause i get to hear the phrase "I told ya so",

i use both styles, trail dep,
Old 07-14-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Freak

HAHA...old men, yall just arent fast enough to keep up with us younger boys in the foot/clutch department

In all seriousness though. I use my clutch all the time..thats what its there for. Its like an art. You have to learn to feather it and know how to use the breaks at the right moments. You have to teach yourself...yes, teach yourself, to rely on the engine compression when coming down off of a rock or in certain situations etc...but all this stuff about hand breaking, etc...is crazy.

and x2 for not wanting to ever give up my stick for an auto.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the real point is to not burn out or damage the clutch by excessive slippage. The clutch should be in or out, not in between being used as a "throttle".
Old 07-15-2008, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goldtr8
Now I have never wheeled out west but I have a clutch in Rubi and since I have driven manuel trans cars, trucks and even big rigs, it is second nature to me.

What I have done in my Rubi so far I would not considerr haveing an automatic. Being able to crawl and just tip in the clutch with giving the vehilce no gas is easy as can be. Going down steep grades in a low gear is a piece of cake, I can not imagine an auto holding this well.

With the rubi case in low you can have the hand brake on and let out the clutch and the jeep moves and you can then release it.

I would never give up my stick unless it was a mall crawler for my wife then it woudl be an auto but then it would be a Serarra also cause then the painted fenders would be ok cause they would never get scrateched cause they would never see a trail.
Your knowledge and skill with a manual awes me. I am so inspired I think I'll have to replace my auto.

By the way, it is a 'Sahara'. But we can't be perfect in every way, now can we?

Old 07-15-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Junkie

Let's keep it friendly and get back to the questions...please!

Quick Reply: Proper Manual Techniques