Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Proper Trail Spotting Techniques! !

Old 05-14-2010, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Proper Trail Spotting Techniques! !

Rules to go by when spotting:

1) Do not spot someone unless the driver asks you to.

2) If you feel someone may need help, ask them if they need help. Do not start giving them directions unless the driver is okay with it.

3) Only one person needs to spot a driver a time. It's okay to have other people watch all angles of the truck, but only one person is to be actually giving the driver directions at a time.

4) After market bumpers, sliders etc. are okay to hold on to and stand on if needed. Do not jump on someone's hood without first checking with the driver. A hood is not a seat or platform to stand on.

5) If there is any doubt or question of what to do, tell the driver to stop and wait.

6) If you are not an experieced spotter, step aside and let someone who is take over. Watch and learn. Spotting is a big responsibility. You have the safety of the driver, the safety of onlookers, and the 20k+ dollar vehicle you are responsible for.

7) Communication with the driver is key! Always make sure the driver understands what you want him/her to do.

8.) Use simple hand signals in addition to verbal communication.

9) Communicate and take it slow.

Rules for the Driver:

1) If you need a spot; ask for one. We are always more than willing to help you out.

2) Pick a spotter you trust and let them know you want them to spot you.

3) Only listen to the one spotter. If you think he may be missing something, stop and let him access the situation before continuing.

4) Always watch the spotter and make sure you understand what he wants you to do. If you do not, stop and ask.

5) If you need a spotter, you need to take things slow. Use very little skinny pedal. If more skinny pedal is needed, the spotter will let you know.

6) If you do not feel comfortable in a situation, stop. There is nothing wrong with not attempting an obstacle. You can always come back again.

7) Communicate, go slow, go safe!
Old 05-14-2010, 12:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very good advice! I think the spotter needs to be in control of the situation and not be afraid to tell the driver to stop if he/she is not following a good/safe line. Again great info!
Old 05-14-2010, 02:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice.

Spotting is one of those things that a person develops with time.

I have seen a passenger hop out of a rig, and start spotting, and the guy had never been off road before, and had zero idea of what he was doing...so he did what all new spotters do, the direct the driver to make his front tires miss the large dangerous looking rocks.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great posting.

There is no shame for asking for spotter. I ask for it all the time.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:53 AM
JK Freak

all good advice. Here are a couple tips for spotter's:

1. Pls don't suddenly put both hands on top of your heads and do the !, especially in the middle of a triky movement
2. Pls match you voice to facial expression. For example: " I see the line" with a confident voice doesn't work with this expression:
2. Pls direct with just one arm in one direction at any given moment.

I've done all of these when I am spotting

Last edited by LeftHandRubi; 05-15-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TEEJ
Nice.

Spotting is one of those things that a person develops with time.

I have seen a passenger hop out of a rig, and start spotting, and the guy had never been off road before, and had zero idea of what he was doing...so he did what all new spotters do, the direct the driver to make his front tires miss the large dangerous looking rocks.

:rotfl mao2:
Old 05-16-2010, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Like when I'm flying I believe there is no place for ego. Good judgement - yes. Ego/machismo/bravado - not so much.

I think it's a good idea for the spotter to know the experience level of the driver and vice-versa. Assumptions can be as bad as bad advice.

Good communication is the key in many cases.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Great advice. One more thing that both the spotter and driver should know, is that the spotter is essentially in control of the vehicle and the driver is little more than a remote control device. Granted, that takes a lot of trust. It is also not a bad idea for the spotter and driver to get out and walk the line together before hand, and understand what is supposed to happen.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
my .02 for the spotter

1. LARGE hand signals.
(i point using an entire arm to indicate direction and use the other to indicate forward, backwards, or stop)

2. "driver" "passenger" are the accepted directions (not left/right)

3. when spotting you want to inform them what they're hung up on IE: "there's a large rock just under your pumpkin, you're going to hear it scrape over it and then feel your pass side tire ride up on another rock" Otherwise your driver will often get upset when he hears scraping. there's a big difference between scraping an axle and scraping sheetmetal!

4. give the driver the option. it's their rig. you can say "i think you should take the line to the left because the line to the right looks too tippy, what do you think?" don't just run ahead and assume they want the easy line. ASK!

5. don't depend on verbal communication... I can't hear them over the open exhaust on my TJ, and many other trail rigs are the same. "give her hell" or "WOAH WOAH WOAH" are acceptable commands for go and stop
and no matter what dont listen to matt
Old 06-06-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Great advice everyone. I am planning on hitting the trails in the near future and am trying to absorb as much information as I can... everything from bringing TP to recovery to driver/spotter techniques. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Proper Trail Spotting Techniques! !