Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Pulling out

Old 05-24-2008, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling out

I have seen a few recoveries and i have seen that people put on the straps and then try to pull and if still the vehicles are not moving the pulling vehicle backs up loosening up the strap and then suddenly accelerating causing an abrupt pull. I hope you get the picture and my question is, is that a proper way to pull out a vehicle? if not then how should it be done?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RiggerMike
If you have the correct strap, they are designed to stretch and snap back. This increases the force applied to the stuck vehicle. Of course all things have their limits, so you can't let out too much slack!
It's also best that no one outside of any vehicle is within two strap lengths to either vehicle. They break sometimes and can really do some damage to a person. This being said, don't get the kind with metal hooks....
So your saying that this can be done? but with a proper strap? and if i have an ordinary strap can i do this, but limited? like only backup a bit and then yank the guy a bit? and do the vehicle get any harm?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:29 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

what riggermike said.

for me personally, i like to try to do a slow pull with the stuck person helping out on their end first. if that doesn't work and you have a tow strap made with an elastic strength to it, a sudden but focused pull will deliver more energy and will most likely to do the job. as mentioned, most tow straps are made to do just this but there are limits and this can be dangerous if your strap has been compromised in any way or if you significantly exceed the pulling strenght of it. if the strap breaks, any metal object attached to it will become a deadly missle. use caution when doing this type of recovery and try to attach your strap directly to tow points or to the frames of both vehicles only.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:32 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by JK-Q8
So your saying that this can be done? but with a proper strap? and if i have an ordinary strap can i do this, but limited? like only backup a bit and then yank the guy a bit? and do the vehicle get any harm?
yes. most straps are made to do this. just try to keep the slack in your strap down to a minimum (i.e. loosly dangling in the air - NOT on the ground). the jerk should be a focused burst - not too much throttle and sustained. this will provide a concentrated tug greater than any straight pull. no harm will to either vehicle will occur so long as you make sure to attach the strap to the tow points or the frame.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
yes. most straps are made to do this. just try to keep the slack in your strap down to a minimum (i.e. loosly dangling in the air - NOT on the ground). the jerk should be a focused burst - not too much throttle and sustained. this will provide a concentrated tug greater than any straight pull. no harm will to either vehicle will occur so long as you make sure to attach the strap to the tow points or the frame.
Okay i get it and somehow when buying the strap something told me to get d ring not the strap will the hook. This way nothing will be flying except the tow strap if broken and if i put some cloth on the strap if it breaks it wont be flying that much?
Old 05-24-2008, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

When looking at a strap there is a huge difference between a "tow strap" and a "snatch or recovery strap". A "tow strap" does NOT have an elastic or stretch parameter built into it because it is designed for flat towing.

The "recovery or snatch strap" will do just that. It will "snatch" the vehicle. This strap is designed to stretch and then yank the vehicle with the stored up excess force in the strap.

A lot of times you will see people use the term "tow" or "recovery" strap interchangeably but they should not be.

I use a 30 footer because I like the lenght if needed. It also allows me to do a 4 point hookup if I wish.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

The title of this thread is some what misleading. And that is all I am going to say about that.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:26 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Robar
The title of this thread is some what misleading. And that is all I am going to say about that.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:36 PM
JK Freak

Now that you mention it, that is really funny. I guess everyone their own technique.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought so too......

Quick Reply: Pulling out