Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Quasi Lockers with ESP

Old 06-22-2008, 02:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dpoelstra
Actually that is kinda funny

Anyway, my comments about LSD with traction control is the BLD that you talk about, just different names. I have the stock rear with "BLD" and a lunchbox loker in teh front and go everywhere. Most of the guys I wheel with are amazed that I am not completely locked front and rear.

It is a great system, and when it wears out, or just doesn't work well anymore I will switch to a selectable locker, but for now it works great, and I do nothing to activate it. I just drive as if I am locked.

BLD is standard on all JKs, and it is not in the axle, it is purely brake activated, and works front and back. A LSD is still an option for the JK, as is a rear locker (full lockers with Rubicon).
Old 06-22-2008, 03:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by muddpuppy01
every time I have had bds kick in it has all was stop me in my tracks mainly do to both rear tires spinning and locking them down to match the front

I just hit the esp button and floor it again
That is probably the traction control kicking in. Once the esp is off, the the bld can do its work.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

And here I thought LSD was only popular back in the 70's.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:29 PM
JK Freak

your right...two seperate systems that work together really well. I happen to have LSD and traction control (BLD), which is great for a "quasi-locker". I don't think that either one with out the other would be all that great.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My understanding of the BLD is that it has absolutely nothing at all to do with the parking brake. Where that came from, I have no idea. In fact, I would bet that if you tried to engage the parking brake, it would probably totally confuse the BLD and cause it to not operate properly.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

I have heard guys with Limited slip only using the parking brake to get the LS to engage. Don't know if it works....
Old 09-13-2008, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default LSD is great, but won't get you on organized trails...

I have the LSD on my JK, and was unable to go on the swamp trail organized run - couldn't get past the safety check. Lockers required.

A lot of the organized runs I go on post clearly that you have to have at least one locker to go on the advanced runs. LSD not enough.

That being said, I haven't had any trouble on the runs I was on! I was able to climb a waterfall on "Winch Hill" on the bear creek run on stock tires! It was tough though.

Anyway, I went and added a front locker and will be checking it our tomorrow. I let you know if I notice a major difference.

sb
Old 09-14-2008, 04:55 AM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

QUOTE=Big Clint;562201]And here I thought LSD was only popular back in the 70's.[/QUOTE]

nah..it was the 80's aswell... [

KSK
Old 09-21-2008, 04:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpinningBull
I have the LSD on my JK, and was unable to go on the swamp trail organized run - couldn't get past the safety check. Lockers required.

A lot of the organized runs I go on post clearly that you have to have at least one locker to go on the advanced runs. LSD not enough.

That being said, I haven't had any trouble on the runs I was on! I was able to climb a waterfall on "Winch Hill" on the bear creek run on stock tires! It was tough though.

Anyway, I went and added a front locker and will be checking it our tomorrow. I let you know if I notice a major difference.

sb
The boys you're with don't wanna be embarrassed by the capabilities of your Limited Slip. I put in a front locker to go with those "elite" drivers and have yet to use it with them. I'm quick to let'em know it too.

The whole thing with the parking brake is with the antique LSD's in the TJ's and such. You had to pump the brakes or hit the E-brake to get them to activate. Those who're still livin' in the past can't seem to accept that someone finally got somethin' right and the systems do really work without any help from us.

Any issues with MY contractions?

Quick Reply: Quasi Lockers with ESP