Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Recommendation for Tire Deflator?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just used my arb for the first time last week. Way better than the smittybilt ones. It's pretty straight forward to use and deflates the tires pretty fast.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

I just received and tried out a set of the JT Brooks Pro deflators. Well built and accurate set of four in a carry pouch. I set the dials to 15lbs and tried them out, all four hit their mark quickly and stopped.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

I like the TeraFlex version. Put one on tire #1, wait 20-30 seconds, put on #2, repeat. By the time I get back to tire #1, I am nearly at the desired psi.

For $15, I'll check the pressure myself.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the ARB/Teraflex like these able to read PSI when not airing down?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J4m-wulTGQ TeraFlex EZ-Tire Deflator Kit

SKU: 5028150
Old 12-19-2015, 07:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on this video, it appears that I cannot read PSI with this deflater unless I'm deflating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnKF-yG9wDE
Old 12-19-2015, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Ive used the ARB one for a while and it is a good unit, but takes babysitting. I just ordered these new JT Brooks adjustable PRO auto deflators from Offroad Evolution. I never liked auto deflators because I range my psi from 8-20 depending on terrain and speed. These new ones are adjustable and don't require babysitting. I don't have enough time with them to know long term, but I think they are the way to go.

http://www.offroadelements.com/brands/J.T.-Brooks.html

Last edited by spicoli; 12-19-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spicoli
Ive used the ARB one for a while and it is a good unit, but takes babysitting. I just ordered these new JT Brooks adjustable PRO auto deflators from Offroad Evolution. I never liked auto deflators because I range my psi from 8-20 depending on terrain and speed. These new ones are adjustable and don't require babysitting. I don't have enough time with them to know long term, but I think they are the way to go.

http://www.offroadelements.com/brands/J.T.-Brooks.html
I was about to pull the trigger on the Staun Tire Deflators but I'm glad you posted about these.. I looked into them and a lot of people seem to enjoy them. They're the same thing, are American made, but unlike the Stauns, these on Amazon are $50 bucks!

Thanks for the heads up
Old 12-27-2016, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread because I'm shopping around and looking at some different tire deflator options.

I ran across these which are on the lower cost side ($30) and the reviews seem to be pretty good. They don't seem like the typical Amazon below $30 junk according to the reviews, but I could be wrong.

Anyone have any experience with these tire deflators made by Boulder Tools?
https://www.amazon.com/Boulder-Tools...Tire+Deflators
Old 12-27-2016, 10:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I paid up for Stauns a good while back. Wish I would have just saved the money and gotten the cheap ones. I typically throw them on and then just monitor the TPMS, pulling them off when it's time. I thought the fact that they could be set at a certain PSI would be great, but in reality, even after spending the time to dial them in, they would always be off depending on the geographic location I was wheelin....so I'd have to sit there and tweak em anyhow. On the off chance I was ever not paying attention and let the tires go too low, I have onboard air. That's never happened.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I paid up for Stauns a good while back. Wish I would have just saved the money and gotten the cheap ones. I typically throw them on and then just monitor the TPMS, pulling them off when it's time. I thought the fact that they could be set at a certain PSI would be great, but in reality, even after spending the time to dial them in, they would always be off depending on the geographic location I was wheelin....so I'd have to sit there and tweak em anyhow. On the off chance I was ever not paying attention and let the tires go too low, I have onboard air. That's never happened.
That was my thought. In light of working on installing on board air, I was considering the Stauns, Coyote, or JT Brooks deflators mentioned in this thread but figured there would be some manual adjusting regardless of what I got, so wanted to go with something a little more price friendly that cost less but still seemed durable enough that they wouldn't just fall apart and stop working. The reviews of the Boulder Tools set seem to indicate these are pretty well made where the only negative review was critiquing the bag they came in without even trying them.

I haven't seen anyone mention these on the forum good or bad, so unless I hear from someone who has personal experience with them, I'll be the 1st to give them a try and post back. I also need a new manual tire pressure gauge which these come with, so all won't be lost even if they do turn out to be junk.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-27-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Recommendation for Tire Deflator?