Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

recover gear writeup

Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write up. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 PM
JK Freak

Cooterbrown,

Those Red heavy duty D Shackles you showed me on Drummond Is... know where I can get those?

Shout out to you for coordinating that winch rescue of that stranded Rubi on Drummond! You know your stuff (even if I was hiding safely behind a tree, watching the effort!)
Old 10-07-2010, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanx for the Awesome info

Thanx for the awesome info - I have been ignorant for too long ! LoL I think your post should become 4x4 club mandatory reading!
thanx
cheers Hunty
Old 10-12-2010, 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the awsome write up.
On the rigs I have seen that have wire rope on them, for whatever reason, sometimes have the cable crisscrossed on the spool instead of having each layer beside the previous one.
Which in my mind is sorta asking for failure down the line.
Just my point of view.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ilflyya
Cooterbrown,

Those Red heavy duty D Shackles you showed me on Drummond Is... know where I can get those?

Shout out to you for coordinating that winch rescue of that stranded Rubi on Drummond! You know your stuff (even if I was hiding safely behind a tree, watching the effort!)
those red shackles are crosby grade 8 steel shackles they are rated to 18 tons. idealy you dont want the solid red ones. i got those for free at work, because they ordered the wrong ones. you want the red pin crosbys that are alloy so that they give slowly instead of exploding. if you google crosby rigging equipment youll find them in all sizes. you can get them that are smaller than your key ring or as big as your jeep. they usually run between 20-30 bucks tho. but they are way better than the chinese junk ones from other companies.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by donnie
I agree with the awsome write up.
On the rigs I have seen that have wire rope on them, for whatever reason, sometimes have the cable crisscrossed on the spool instead of having each layer beside the previous one.
Which in my mind is sorta asking for failure down the line.
Just my point of view.
yes that is why your supposed to respool it on there nice and "hand tight" with the wraps next to each other falling into the grooves of the previous wrap to prevent crushing your line
Old 10-17-2010, 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just passed my testing on rigging and cable at work. Reading your write up was like being in class again. Awesome info you have provided everyone with.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hunty
Thanx for the awesome info - I have been ignorant for too long ! LoL I think your post should become 4x4 club mandatory reading!
thanx
cheers Hunty
well feel free to print it and pass it along to whomever

Old 10-18-2010, 03:32 AM
JK Freak

Any advice on picking a recovery strap? What makes a good unit? The prices even for the same poundage seem to vary widely.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cunnart
Any advice on picking a recovery strap? What makes a good unit? The prices even for the same poundage seem to vary widely.
im not a fan of "straps" i have used them but the fact that they build energy on purpose scares me. alot of people swear by them but i prefer endless round slings. they dont stretch as much and you can use them for winching etc, but expect to pay a little bit for them. the strap i have that ive used a few times i bought at walmart for 20 bucks. and it has worked for what ive used it for. hope that answered your question.

the main diference in money is going to be the amount of controled stretch in them.

Quick Reply: recover gear writeup