Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Recovery Gear

Old 01-27-2011, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recovery Gear

I was wondering what would be the most important things to get for recovery gear? I've read all different types of suggestion, but just want a breakdown. So far I have nothing, but was thinking about getting a hi-lift (Recommended by a couple of friends).

Any help will do.

Thank!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

hear ya go, i love the backpack, will hopefully be purchasing this next week

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ies...ATTN-ALL
Old 01-28-2011, 03:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

In priority order (if you can't afford all at once):

1. Recovery points on the front and rear of your Jeep. If you don't have the stock hooks on the front, see if you can pick up someone's take-off bumper that does. Sometimes free, usually quite cheap (few tens of dollars). For the rear, you can pick up a shackle that attaches to a standard 2" receiver hitch. Or maybe you can find someone's take-off stock tow hook (some JKs will accommodate that, some won't without removing the trailer hitch). THIS IS THE BARE MINIMUM BEFORE YOU GO WHEELING--NO MATTER WHAT, YOU MUST HAVE RECOVERY POINTS!

2. Snatch/recovery strap and two shackles. Not a tow strap. A true recovery strap will stretch to assist with the recovery. A tow strap will not. It will be quite clear on the product packaging if you're getting the right strap (it will say something about being able to stretch). If you have hooks (vice shackle mounting points) on your Jeep, you can get away with one shackle (presumably to attach to the other Jeep's bumper). One of the loops on the snatch strap can be set over the top of it. Do not loop the snatch strap onto itself--put the loops over hooks or secure with shackles.

3. Leather gloves.

4. A buddy. The above will be pretty useless if there isn't someone to pull you out.

5. A couple short pieces of 2x6" boards--perhaps two feet long. You can stack them to get your jack up to your Jeep's frame/axle when changing a tire. And they can be placed under a couple tires when mired in mud/sand to assist with getting free.

5. Shovel and axe and saw. The shovel will help to place the boards above, or just to move lots of mud/snow/ice/sand that's blocking your travel. The axe and saw will allow you to deal with debris in the way. And, the cut material may be useful for a make-shift roadbed. Of course, one should always be respectful of the tread lightly creed--don't be cutting on public/private property where it's not permissible. Clean up any mess you create.

6. A Hi-Lift. But not to change tires, because when you need to change a tire while wheeling, often the Jeep is at some odd angle and lifting with a Hi-Lift is an unsafe proposition. But, it will allow you to jack up the Jeep to remove a rock you're high-centered on, to stack rocks under a wheel or two to push the Jeep up and get it moving again, or to push the Jeep sideways to get it off the offending object.

After that you're moving into the area of self-recovery and winches, etc. If I overlooked something I expect someone will chime in.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-28-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
In priority order (if you can't afford all at once):

1. Recovery points on the front and rear of your Jeep. If you don't have the stock hooks on the front, see if you can pick up someone's take-off bumper that does. Sometimes free, usually quite cheap (few tens of dollars). For the rear, you can pick up a shackle that attaches to a standard 2" receiver hitch. Or maybe you can find someone's take-off stock tow hook (some JKs will accommodate that, some won't without removing the trailer hitch). THIS IS THE BARE MINIMUM BEFORE YOU GO WHEELING--NO MATTER WHAT, YOU MUST HAVE RECOVERY POINTS!

2. Snatch/recovery strap and two shackles. Not a tow strap. A true recovery strap will stretch to assist with the recovery. A tow strap will not. It will be quite clear on the product packaging if you're getting the right strap (it will say something about being able to stretch). If you have hooks (vice shackle mounting points) on your Jeep, you can get away with one shackle (presumably to attach to the other Jeep's bumper). One of the loops on the snatch strap can be set over the top of it. Do not loop the snatch strap onto itself--put the loops over hooks or secure with shackles.

3. Leather gloves.

4. A buddy. The above will be pretty useless if there isn't someone to pull you out.

5. A couple short pieces of 2x6" boards--perhaps two feet long. You can stack them to get your jack up to your Jeep's frame/axle when changing a tire. And they can be placed under a couple tires when mired in mud/sand to assist with getting free.

5. Shovel and axe and saw. The shovel will help to place the boards above, or just to move lots of mud/snow/ice/sand that's blocking your travel. The axe and saw will allow you to deal with debris in the way. And, the cut material may be useful for a make-shift roadbed. Of course, one should always be respectful of the tread lightly creed--don't be cutting on public/private property where it's not permissible. Clean up any mess you create.

6. A Hi-Lift. But not to change tires, because when you need to change a tire while wheeling, often the Jeep is at some odd angle and lifting with a Hi-Lift is an unsafe proposition. But, it will allow you to jack up the Jeep to remove a rock you're high-centered on, to stack rocks under a wheel or two to push the Jeep up and get it moving again, or to push the Jeep sideways to get it off the offending object.

After that you're moving into the area of self-recovery and winches, etc. If I overlooked something I expect someone will chime in.
Seems like a logical start to me Mark.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BigJeschke
Seems like a logical start to me Mark.
WOW! Thanks that's what the kind of response I was looking for!

Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: recovery Gear

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
5. Shovel . . . The shovel will help to place the boards above, or just to move lots of mud/snow/ice/sand that's blocking your travel.
An excellent list.

The only thing I'd add is do NOT buy a long handled shovel as your FIRST shovel.
Ever try to remove dirt from underneath a rig with a long handled shovel? Can be nearly an impossible task.

Get a folding GI shovel. It makes removing dirt much easier.
And it fits just about anywhere when folded.

Last edited by paulp575; 01-31-2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Correct spelling error
Old 01-31-2011, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is great
Old 02-01-2011, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by paulp575
An excellent list.

The only thing I'd add is do NOT buy a long handled shovel as your FIRST shovel.
Ever try to remove dirt from underneath a rig with a long handled shovel? Can be nearly an impossible task.

Get a folding GI shovel. It makes removing dirt much easier.
And it fits just about anywhere when folded.
True! That makes sense. I went ahead and ordered one from Quadratec today.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: Recovery Gear

Originally Posted by Vince1
True! That makes sense. I went ahead and ordered one from Quadratec today.

Thanks!
If you want to see a comprehensive list, check this web page:

h t t p ://w w w .dog-walker.us/4x4/4x4-211.htm
(sorry I have to spread out the link as direct links are not allowed for non-sponsors of the forum; copy it into your web browser and remove all the spaces and you;'ll see the web page)

Yes, it's a bit long, but you need to tailor it for your specific vehicle, your level of vehicle repair expertise, and where you are going.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like this feedback.

My choices are similar. I believe most people need to save space so what to carry is a balance between space and need.

#1 is make sure your vehicle has recovery points front and rear and carry a recovery strap.

If you wheel alone, carry a hi-lift in addition to your stock jack. Many people don't realize that using a stock jack will actually work in many stuck situations and is a safer alternative to a hi-lift. I run 38" tires and can still use my stock jack about 25% of the time to recovery myself if I were wheeling alone. Still, there are situations where only a hi-lift will work. Another thing to remember is to mount the hi-lift somewhere and don't just toss it in your jeep. If you roll (or flop) a free hi-lift could kill you.

Carrying a folding shovel is also a good idea. While these dig dirt ok, I have broken several trying to dig snow. I actually carry a spcialized snow shovel on winter runs. It was about $40 at Eddie Beaur, or REI.

I often also carry a basic toolkit in a small offroad bag and I carry a set of jumper cables in small off road bag. I've used the jumper cables at many places to help regular vehicles out.

I carry other stuff too, but it is based on how hard I am planning on wheeling during trip. For example, I carry my portable welder on large group runs and extreme trails, but not on snow runs.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Recovery Gear