Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Recovery gear.......Is all chain created equal?

Old 05-20-2010, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recovery gear.......Is all chain created equal?

I am in the process of getting together my off-road recovery bag for when I go off-road....

Here is what I have right now:

-hi-lift jack
-20k lb tow strap-18 feet long
-1 d ring

plans

-3 more d-rings
-I also plan on making a kit similar to this kit ( I can probably get all of this stuff for about half the price) to utilize my hi-lift jack hxxp://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...tfamilyid=6039
I am also looking into chain. I was told that chain is safer and can be utilized better with a hi-lift jack versus cable.

So, I was at home depot and they have all sorts of chain-is there a minimum size of strength that you would recommend. I dont want to go too big as I plan I getting at least 40 feet and that much chain would be HEAVY!

Last edited by Moochie; 05-20-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Please, no direct links to non sponsors
Old 05-21-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#1. If you're going to use your hi-lift as a winch, then chain is the way to go.

#2. Not all chain is created equal. Here's a chart to allow you compare strengths and sizes.

http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/WLLchart.htm

If you're a "little bit stuck" you'll need to pull the weight of your Jeep.

If you're "nice and stuck" you'll need to pull twice the weight of your Jeep.

If you're "TRULY stuck" you'll need to pull three tiems the weight of your Jeep.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by w squared
#1. If you're going to use your hi-lift as a winch, then chain is the way to go.

#2. Not all chain is created equal. Here's a chart to allow you compare strengths and sizes.

http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/WLLchart.htm

If you're a "little bit stuck" you'll need to pull the weight of your Jeep.

If you're "nice and stuck" you'll need to pull twice the weight of your Jeep.

If you're "TRULY stuck" you'll need to pull three tiems the weight of your Jeep.

Sorry to hijack, but is that formula applicable to right-sizing a winch + cable?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

To use the hi-lift as a winch and get anywhere with it you'll definitely need a chain. I've used it with some cable and some straps and found it to be a huge pain. By the time the hi-lift took the stretch out of the system the jeep barely got anywhere. I've got a 60" hi-lift and was probably getting about a foot after hi-lifting 5 ft.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
i just always used a tree saver (since it's shorter) with my hi-lift... then again, i've only ever used a hi-lift as a winch once....

i don't mess with chains. they rust, they're heavy, they're a pita.... just my .02
Yes, chains are heavy. But, it won't stretch more than a fraction of an inch and if it breaks, it simply drops. If it breaks, you can use a threaded chain-mender link or two shackles to fix it in less than a minute. Chains also store easy. With my CJ5, I stored my 25' chain in an old knapsack.

Last edited by Widewing; 05-28-2010 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Fix typo
Old 05-28-2010, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
cool, i guess if you guys want to carry chains that's up to you...

personally, if i saw someone get a chain out i'd run for cover. maybe i've just seen too many good ol boys bust out a chain to pull a buddy out of the mud... whenthey break while doing that they do NOT just drop to teh ground.

for using on a hi-lift, i guess you're fine. Then again, you'll never see me using one as a winch because... well that's what the winches are for. 9,000lb warn on the rig, 5,000lb ramsey on the trailer.
Yeah, my reference is when using a hi-lift as a come-along. If you use a chain to pull out a stuck vehicle, the chain will follow the vehicle if it breaks. However, inasmuch as a chain does not stretch, it does not store energy. Thus, if it breaks while in tension, it simply drops. It cannot whip, it cannot flail. It will, however, be dangerous if the tow vehicle jumps ahead as the remaining chain will go with it.

I once observed a knucklehead use a chain as an extension to his winch cable (pulling out a lifted S-10 from a mud bog). Everyone cleared out of the area. If that chain was to break, you could have 50 pounds of steel flying your way on the end of the cable.

Last edited by Widewing; 05-28-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Widewing
Yeah, my reference is when using a hi-lift as a come-along. If you use a chain to pull out a stuck vehicle, the chain will follow the vehicle if it breaks. However, inasmuch as a chain does not stretch, it does not store energy. Thus, if it breaks while in tension, it simply drops. It cannot whip, it cannot flail. It will, however, be dangerous if the tow vehicle jumps ahead as the remaining chain will go with it.

I once observed a knucklehead use a chain as an extension to his winch cable (pulling out a lifted S-10 from a mud bog). Everyone cleared out of the area. If that chain was to break, you could have 50 pounds of steel flying your way on the end of the cable.
Not sure how those two instances are any different from each other? using a chan as a kinetic recovery is just plain nuts though, As for using chain with a Hi-lift as a winch/come along, the shear pin in the jack will most likely break long before a decent chain will. I have a 20' section of chain as well as a 50' synthetic 5/8th winch rope extension if I need more. I have never used the Hi-lift to unstuck a rig but have used it to pull the back of a truck around as the winch was slowly pulling it forward.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bennyhana
Not sure how those two instances are any different from each other? using a chan as a kinetic recovery is just plain nuts though, As for using chain with a Hi-lift as a winch/come along, the shear pin in the jack will most likely break long before a decent chain will. I have a 20' section of chain as well as a 50' synthetic 5/8th winch rope extension if I need more. I have never used the Hi-lift to unstuck a rig but have used it to pull the back of a truck around as the winch was slowly pulling it forward.
I agree. Using a chain like a snatch strap is beyond stupid. That said, you can find plenty of galactically stupid people out there.

However, using a chain with a hi-lift is safe. Since it doesn't stretch, it's very efficient. I would avoid using chain for any other type of recovery and I'd never use one to extend something that does stretch (straps, wire cable or synthetic cable).
Old 05-28-2010, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the stretch in synthetic cable is almost nothing. I've used my winchline extension and the chain while using the jack as a come along..it's just fine.

Also now that I've read wildwings post again...I see the difference...I was assuming that the truck was using synthetic rope...yeah with steel rope that's bad Juju..synthetic rope it's still not a good idea but a little safer than with the wire. It's not a good idea to use a chain to extend your winch line anyway, too many possible week links ( Pun intended)...that's why they make dedicated extensions...
Old 05-28-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

u can never have to much recovery equipment. i got

4 d-rings

hi-lift

hi-lift wheel mate

tow chain

2, 30,000 tow straps

10,000 xrc winch

20,000 pound snatch block

20,000 pound tree saver

shit ton of hand tools.

axle plug.

4 gal gas can

i still want extra tools, one more snatch block 2 more d-rings, on more tow strap and a snatch strap.
extra driveshafts one day.

and all of this is meaningless if u dont know the proper and safe way to use it.

Last edited by joes-jk; 05-28-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Recovery gear.......Is all chain created equal?