Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Recovery Gear...What Should I Get?

Old 10-01-2008, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A shovel, axe, tow strap, and hi lift jack, cb radio. and of course tow hooks
Old 10-01-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Default recovery

Definately a CB, shovel, tow strap and heavy duty come along. If you you want to go really old school you could go with a heavy duty rope and a couple of double pullys. It works, but it is a PITA to do with less than 4-6 people.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

At a minimum:
- two straps, one for each end
- bolted to frame or bumper recovery points front and rear
- screw shackle

Having these will allow another vehicle to pull you out. The shackle will allow you to bind your straps together without knots or loops to extend the length.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

A winch mounted to a winch plate receiver will work just fine. It is usually easier to get out of a hole from the direction with which you entered anyweay. Later you could always remove the winch from the plate and mount it on the next Jeep that you own...Oh, and all the straps and stuff everyone else mentioned.

Rock on
Old 10-06-2008, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Everything that they said but try to never use the chain. Just seeing once chain under tension snap and you will never want to use a chain again either. I understand its use with the come along but otherwise I do think there is a need for it.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by guinnessisgood
Everything that they said but try to never use the chain. Just seeing once chain under tension snap and you will never want to use a chain again either. I understand its use with the come along but otherwise I do think there is a need for it.
I totally agree. When I was a student I had a job repairing hoists. Shock load was the biggest enemy of the chain. That's when the chain is pulled taunt quickly resulting in subtantially greater stress in the chain than would be placed as a result of a static load. However, using a chain with a handheld come-along should not produce a shock load so it should be 'relatively' safe as long as the chain is properly rated (with a safety factor built in).

Quick Reply: Recovery Gear...What Should I Get?