Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Recovery Gear...What Should I Get?

Old 09-30-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recovery Gear...What Should I Get?

I don't have a winch and I'm not planning on gettin gone. I don't mean to sound idiotic and arrogant but I'm leasing the vehicle so I dont' want to sink $$ into a winch/bumper that I won't recover at the end of my lease.

Last weekend though I almost got stuck in a mud hole so that got me thinking about getting some recovery gear to tote around with me just in case. There doesn't seem to be a definitive thread on this (and maybe there should be a sticky) but what would you all suggest I carry with me? Please be detailed...if you say "come-along", please let me know how many tons. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

JK
Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

I'd still suggest considering a winch. Since you are leasing the vehicle and it sounds like you do not intend to buy it at the end of the lease, consider picking up an extra stock front bumper from here (cheap or free) and doing one of the several mods to accomodate a winch. When your lease is up, you can easily pull off the winch and mod'd bumper, and replace with a stock version. Buy a basic 8~9k winch and you can do this for under $350, and will have the winch even after the vehicle is turned in.

If you don't want this approach, the biggest come-along you can find from tractor supply would be ideal. A 4dr JK is around 6k pounds easily, and when stuck in sucking mud and other stuff...well, you need as much help is possibly without worrying about the limits of the come-along.

You could also consider a good high lift jack for use as a come-along, but they are generally slower to operate in that manner.

And if you're spending $150~200 on these items, why not spend a little more and do it the easy way?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aftermarket companies sell kits and these will give you the basics. The basics include a tow strap, tree saver, and d-rings. And of course do not forget to make sure you have recovery points (hooks or d-rings) front and rear on your Jeep.

Go here for a list of some stuff from Northridge:
http://www.northridge4x4.com/products.php?cat=106
Old 09-30-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Junkie

ideally... an extra jeep or friend is the best recovery gear

but i carry:
tow straps (at least 2) - 20' rated at 20K lbs
air compressor - should be mounted soon
hi-lift - sometimes i leave it at home
FULL SIZE spare tire
shovel
winch controller (in case my in cab fails)
rear 2" receiver tow hook - or at least a steel pin for the receiver
recovery points front and rear

i am sure there is some other stuff

EDIT TO ADD: how long is your lease??? I would get the bumper and winch, keep the factory stuff, and then use it on your next vehicle or sell it!

Last edited by 07JKX; 09-30-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you're not going for a winch, then a cell phone and a wad of cash will make a nice substitute.

Take a CB radio, hand held is okay.

Take a wheeling buddy. More fun and easier recovery, plus he can have the winch.

A come-along is useless unless you can lock the recovery strap/rope/etc while you're adjusting it. If you get one, almost any size will work but a 4-ton will get you up a cliff if needed. A chain that will hold 9,000 lbs is needed for the pulling distance so you can lock it and readjust.

I've gotten more use out of a shovel than most other things. A hi-lift jack would be good as well. Six feet of carpet about a foot wide will get you out of a lot of low-traction issues.

And a winch. Get a trailer tongue mount and lock it into the rear hitch if needed. Put it and a decent bumper on the front and swap to the factory bumper you put in the garage rafters when your lease is up. Still take a buddy and a CB, but really, really, really rethink the winch choice.

Jeff
Old 09-30-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

There is a lot of good advice on this thread so far. Read it all. You will find that most of us who have been wheeling for a long time will recommend a winch and, in some cases, a Pull Pal, in addition to the other recovery items contained in this thread. If you intend to wheel by yourself, a winch and Pull Pal are essential. You can fore-go the winch if you always wheel with a fellow Jeeper who has a winch. Part of wheeling is getting stuck, high centered, etc. Plan on it - and be prepared.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:24 PM
JK Freak

if no winch then do not wheel out of cell phone range it is not safe.

First aid kit, using recovery gear is where most of the injuries can occur, pinched fingers snapping lines especially with a come along as apposed to a winch, etc.

Hi lift with base and end loop
Tree saver
snatch block
Heavy duty gloves
Carpet or astro turf strips
a great knife
a saw can use a survival knife
rope

everyone else add on i am getting tired, bed time
Old 10-01-2008, 06:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6' high lift
2-20' straps
1- 10' strap
1- 6' strap
2 to 4 3/4" shackles
shovel
cell phone
wheelin buddy with a winch
some hand tools
small tarp
Old 10-01-2008, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

You could recover the cost of a winch and plate before your lease is up. I get winch winch and bumper and save the stock bumper. You can always sell them here when your lease is up.

If not get a hi-lift and the hi-lift off road kit. I have both and only plan on using the the jack to drag the jeep sideways if there are no other options.

Tow strap
Blocks of wood
Gloves (more than one pair)

Last edited by eDiveBuddy; 10-01-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 AM
JK Freak

Holy cr*p! ....great advice!!! I am seriously re-thinking the winch thing though based on what you guys said. I noticed that you can get a winch plate that 'plugs' into the hitch receiver. Would that work fine if I were to use it on the rear hitch or would there be issues with that? I think this would be a cost effective alternative to changing the entire bumper.

Also, I went and got myself the straps but I'd also like to get a bit of chain in case I have to use the come-along (to adjust the length). I just want to make sure I'm getting the proper rated chain however so I don't kill anyone. What do I look for in the rating???

Quick Reply: Recovery Gear...What Should I Get?