Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Recovery Rope(KERR) vs Recovery Strap

Old 05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recovery Rope(KERR) vs Recovery Strap

Quick question that may start a debate. I am new to wheeling, mainly forest roads and lots of snow last winter, but after getting stuck a few weeks ago I think its about time to get some recovery gear. I am getting a receiver shackle for my birthday in a couple weeks and am trying to decide if I should get a 2" ARB Recovery Strap or a 3/4" KERR Recovery Rope? I know they both stretch and build up a pulling force and both require time to recover after a pull but my questions are:
1) Are they they similar in stretch?
2) Do they have the same wait time after a pull?
3) Is one more durable?
Thanks in advance.
-Jeff
Old 05-07-2010, 08:37 PM
JK Freak

Until now I have never heard of a Kerr recovery rope, which does not mean its not an excellent product. I have had an ARB recovery strap for a number of years and it never fails recover my friends stranded H2 or a fellow Jeeper.

Here is you bump of the day.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the kerr the same as the 'bubba rope'? I've heard some about the bubba rope being good stuff, but have no personal experience myself.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:47 PM
JK Newbie

Yea, I am pretty sure that the KERR is like Bubba rope or Yankers rope but I just wasnt sure if anyone had any true experience with one...I may just get a 2" ARB strap to go with the tried and true gear.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

KERR = Kinetic Energy Recovery Rope

It uses the same principle as the snatch straps....and you'd use the same precautions.

Its more popular among the Brits, as it was developed for their military...but its harder to store the same length, and the same strength, as you'd get with a snatch strap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEtuO-Mh9Lg

Note the hole appear in the rear glass of the stuck rig ~ at the 49 second mark....that's a vid of the KERR snapping and shooting through the rear glass. Its too fast to see the rope go through the glass, you just hear the snap, and see a hole appear...

Obviously, snatch straps can snap too, its just not very common, and when they do, it typically because they are too old/worn, but weren't retired. I assume its the same for the KEER.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:02 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TEEJ
KERR = Kinetic Energy Recovery Rope

It uses the same principle as the snatch straps....and you'd use the same precautions.

Its more popular among the Brits, as it was developed for their military...but its harder to store the same length, and the same strength, as you'd get with a snatch strap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEtuO-Mh9Lg

Note the hole appear in the rear glass of the stuck rig ~ at the 49 second mark....that's a vid of the KERR snapping and shooting through the rear glass. Its too fast to see the rope go through the glass, you just hear the snap, and see a hole appear...

Obviously, snatch straps can snap too, its just not very common, and when they do, it typically because they are too old/worn, but weren't retired. I assume its the same for the KEER.
That's why I have an 1.5" rope......it stretches great and won't break. I once pulled out a tanker truck with my F250 on snow and ice. It was pretty amazing.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

After getting stuck mudding in AZUSA CANYON OHV i reallized that i needed one of these. i tried using my recovery straps one was new and one was about 6 months old BOTH OF THEM BUSTED. we tried pulling slowly nothing slight momentum nothing a little more momentum and gas and SNAP. somebody came by and used this kinetic rope hooked it up with one pull i was out. i was amazed how smooth it was.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

i just got my Masterpull super yanker recovery rope its rated at 33500lbs 1"x30' for $93 on ebay. not its time to hit the beach and test it out.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:01 AM
JK Newbie

Ok this is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway. Are chains not ok to use? I'm going on my first big trail ride. Shouldn't have any problems but I want to be prepared just in case.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by psujeepguy
Ok this is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway. Are chains not ok to use? I'm going on my first big trail ride. Shouldn't have any problems but I want to be prepared just in case.
Chains snap and are very heavy. I used them for years as well, but a good recovery chain adds LOTS OF WEIGHT to your rig and just know if you ever drop it while in deep mud...... Your day just got worse.
But if you do not have a good recovery strap or snatch rope, the chain Is your friend
These are simply thoughts from one person.

Quick Reply: Recovery Rope(KERR) vs Recovery Strap