Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

RIver Crossing

Old 06-07-2010, 08:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKlad
I've got a question regarding the effectiveness of snorkel keeping water out of the airbox.

So I'm guessing that even with a snorkel, if you're in deep water for long enough water will flood in through this drain hole and risk hydrolocking? Or do you seal the drain hole as part of the snorkel install (but then wouldn't this result in the airbox holding rainwater ingested through the snorkel intake & slowly filling up the sealed airbox eventually leading to hydrolocking risk)? Just something I've been wondering about as I'm planning to fit a snorkel eventually.

Don't have a snorkel yet...but will be: My observations having removed the Stock air box for a CAI.

The stock airbox will not be fully air tight, in the bottom they have rubber washers where the airbox clips into the body of the Jeep. You may want to silicone these up from inside the box to ensure water won't enter from the bottom.

Now with a AEV snorkel it will attach to the larger vent hole in the stock air box closest to the the passenger side panel (N.A. Spec). Now I have read some instructions that when you attach the snorkel to the this point on the stock box you are suppose to silicone this joint and this will create a good seal. The part where I think some water may enter is the top lid of the stock box. You maybe can come up with some sort of DIY gasket that will seal this portion when you lock/clip the top lid.

Then just ensure your intake tube joints are tight to the airbox and engine and you may want to seal these with a bead of silicone to ensure a good seal.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKlad
I've got a question regarding the effectiveness of snorkel keeping water out of the airbox. I stupidly went into a waterhole when I first got the JK without first checking the depth & got stuck. As soon as I realised I wasn't going anywhere I shut her down as the water was over the right headlight & I knew that was about the height of the air intake.

I swam around to the front, popped the hood and quickly pulled the top cover off the airbox & pulled the filter out as the JK was almost new and I was crapping myself that I'd sucked in some water. The airbox was half full of muddy water and before my very eyes continued to fill up to nearly the top to my confusion. When we pulled the Jeep out I checked the airbox again and the water level in it was now falling; when empty I discovered that there is a drain hole in the bottom of the airbox.

So I'm guessing that even with a snorkel, if you're in deep water for long enough water will flood in through this drain hole and risk hydrolocking? Or do you seal the drain hole as part of the snorkel install (but then wouldn't this result in the airbox holding rainwater ingested through the snorkel intake & slowly filling up the sealed airbox eventually leading to hydrolocking risk)? Just something I've been wondering about as I'm planning to fit a snorkel eventually.

PS: As a side note, I also had to change the fluids in both diffs, the gearbox and the transfer case as they were all full of muddy water so it was an expensive newby lesson learned.
I have an AEV snorkel installed on my Jeep. You do have to seal all the holes in the stock air box during the install. As far as water building up while driving in the rain it doesn't happen. I have driven through downpours and then checked the air box because like you I was curious. Bone dry inside. And if you read on the AEV website it is designed to eliminate rain by forcing it to the back of the ram air head and out through the slits in the intake. So I guess it works
Old 06-07-2010, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys! That answers my question

Quick Reply: RIver Crossing