Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Rough Country Disco Lesson

Old 03-23-2009, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Country Disco Lesson

Just a heads up to folks who are running rough country quick disconnects. This weekend I took my first "wheeling" trip with a group of 12 other Jeeps (4 JK's in the bunch). I was hoping to learn about things like disconnecting and airing down.

It was generally a great experience and I am totally amazed at what the JK was willing to do. My unlimited Sahara is bone stock except for the RC lift and disco's.

Disconnecting was very easy (albeit messy since I put grease on the safety pins) and zip tying the sway bar was a cinch

Only one problem occurred but it is worth noting. The lower "studs" where the RC disco connects to the axle will not necessarily stay in the upright position when bouncing over rocks and ruts.

In my case it flopped to the "down position" pointing straight at the ground. Somewhere along the lines I contacted a rock, which bent the lower sway bar bracket to where I could not reconnect. In trying to bend it back, it is still about 1/2 inch out of whack as I had to jack up the axle to reconnect last night, and even then it was tough to do plus it is under enough tension that the drivers side is now 1/2 inch higher than the passenger side.

A couple of local Jeepers are going to try and help me straighten it out, so hopefully not a serious issue.

My lesson learned is that a small zip tie would have held the stud up and out of the way and only taken a second to put on. Next time, that is what I will do.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

That is why I went with the Teraflex disco's on my 2dr. They provide a mount to put the link in the stored position when disconnected. It actually forces you to put the sway bar up and out of the way. Worked great. No zip ties. No problems.

Having said that, I hope your damage is minimal and can be easily repaired. Congratulations on taking your Jeep off road. It is where they were meant to be.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I actually had some pic's posted, but they were too large and I haven't had time to reduce them yet. Will do soon then update the thread I started on the trip.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

This is an issue we have corrected on the TJ discos and we are working to implement the same pieces into the JK world. In my opinion it won't be soon enough.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Ben, Care to share what the solution is? Will it be able to retrofit on the existing JK QD's for an upcharge? Not a big deal to zip tie it, but does add one more step.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Rough_Country
This is an issue we have corrected on the TJ discos and we are working to implement the same pieces into the JK world. In my opinion it won't be soon enough.
Hey Ben, good to know that RC is working on a fix.

And x2 on JeffD's question. I'd be curious to know what the solution was as well. Just ordered my RC 4" Lift, QDs and 1.5" Spacers yesterday.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't heard anything from RC yet on this issue even though I shot an email or two on it. I hope they see this and answer.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:.
glad to hear you had a great time and learned what your jeep will do. they are amazing little adventurers aren't they?

as for your story... this is exactly what it's all about... you live you learn type of deal. and this forum is for exactly your story. we as a community coming together to help out other in their future adventures.

KUDOS! but where are the trail ride pics?

well put he said it all (we as a community coming together to help out other in their future adventures.)

Quick Reply: Rough Country Disco Lesson