Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Rugged Ridge Rear Bumper D-Ring recovery failure discussion

Old 10-12-2010, 11:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad they are going to investigate and replace it as well! Keep us posted.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2010, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I was out there on Sat. I was in the Silver JKU Sahara and my buddy in his red YJ. Went back to the SUV area and they had some ruts that for some reason I thought I could get through. I was wrong

I didn't know there were any other Bloomington/Champaign folks on here - I will for sure ping you next time a trip is planned. I bet I can guess where you work in BN

And yes, great props to RR on this. I wasn't real happy on Sat of course, but after all this and getting my D-Ring tomorrow (they already sent me tracking info and a return box) I won't hold it against them.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DR-JP
(snip)
I didn't know there were any other Bloomington/Champaign folks on here - I will for sure ping you next time a trip is planned. I bet I can guess where you work in BN

(snip)
You might have to guess twice. I work at the insurance company w/ the green logo.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

Where are the RR bumpers made at? Are they mad offshore or here in the States?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wish that they were forged and not cast. There is always potential for problems during casting that may go unnoticed. Glad no one was hurt.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

New D-Ring is on and the bad one goes back on Tues. So I would assume we will hear back on that in a few weeks.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

Derek... glad everything worked out and no one got hurt. Funny, i just got home and sent you the pm, and this is the first post i see. weird.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

Glad we have a vendor that cares enough to make things right.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the RR rear as well. This is concerning. Curious, did you use the D rings as attachment points or did you loop the strap through them both? If the latter, I wonder if the torque pulling them inward weakened the mounts.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

The more and more I thought about it, the more I questioned it myself. I thought that the torque inward might have an inpact on that as well, but regardless you would think that it would handle it.

So I have a tow straw with the loops on the ends. I ran it through the drivers side, then through the passenger side, then through itself, then with the other end I attached it to a a tow hook on the other vehicle. I was starting to think the same thing as I was putting the new one on. If the hookup had diverted the stress from straight back to an "inward" pull. So I am not sure...I guess I just assumed that two points would be better than one. Good thoughts though...I was thinking the same thing earlier. But you have to assume that they could handle that...I am really curious to hear back from RR after they investigate the Ring.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge Rear Bumper D-Ring recovery failure discussion