Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Snow psi

Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AEVJK21

That's an amazing deal! Definately have a good guy there! Welcome to the beginning of the modding process
Thanks man! I've fabbed a few things for storage and what not, but now that I'm on Christmas break, I'm fabbing a light bar. I'm pumped to get it going! The stock capabilities of these jeeps are stupendous, but they can be absolute monsters with just a few mods
Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gforce!

Thanks man! I've fabbed a few things for storage and what not, but now that I'm on Christmas break, I'm fabbing a light bar. I'm pumped to get it going! The stock capabilities of these jeeps are stupendous, but they can be absolute monsters with just a few mods
My Christmas break starts at the end of this week! Much to come on this break, gonna love it. And completely agree with the capabilities, I don't have tons of mods done but with what I have my rig is a monster on the trails and mud
Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AEVJK21

My Christmas break starts at the end of this week! Much to come on this break, gonna love it. And completely agree with the capabilities, I don't have tons of mods done but with what I have my rig is a monster on the trails and mud
Sweet! I had terrible luck in the mud with no lockers and street tires, so I'm hoping the km2s do their job. Although, for that price, I can't complain lol. I'm a huge rock garden fan, myself. I'm gonna do homemade discos here before class starts as well
Old 12-18-2012, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Sweet! I had terrible luck in the mud with no lockers and street tires, so I'm hoping the km2s do their job. Although, for that price, I can't complain lol. I'm a huge rock garden fan, myself. I'm gonna do homemade discos here before class starts as well
My km2s are amazing in the mud, and aired down actually perform quite well in the gardens too, I've been through both, tested them at rausch creek in pa. You'll love them off the street and they're not even very bad on the roads either. As for lockers, they are magical. Definately invest in them when you have the change to do so if you wheel alot
Old 12-18-2012, 05:15 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Alright guys, it's about to start snowing here in Kentucky (hopefully). Last year, it hardly snowed at all, but it should be better this year. I've heard mixed opinions on snow. Is it better to run normal road pressures (32-36psi) so that the tires will cut through the snow, or would lower psi do better in snow just like normal offroading? Thanks guys!
For snow wheeling we run anywhere from 10-6psi depending on tires.I've heard of guys going as low as 2 psi.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by familytime
For snow wheeling we run anywhere from 10-6psi depending on tires.I've heard of guys going as low as 2 psi.
I hope they invested in beadlocks prior to running 2psi!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Alright guys, it's about to start snowing here in Kentucky (hopefully). Last year, it hardly snowed at all, but it should be better this year. I've heard mixed opinions on snow. Is it better to run normal road pressures (32-36psi) so that the tires will cut through the snow, or would lower psi do better in snow just like normal offroading? Thanks guys!
If you're driving in the city, then I wouldn't bother with changing air pressure. The Jeep does great with the amounts of snow you usually find in the city. When cars and AWD's get stuck, or need to shovel out, the Jeep just goes through like it's nothing.

If you go to the woods, then you should air down as low as you can, as that will give you more tread (traction).
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheTerminator

If you're driving in the city, then I wouldn't bother with changing air pressure. The Jeep does great with the amounts of snow you usually find in the city. When cars and AWD's get stuck, or need to shovel out, the Jeep just goes through like it's nothing.

If you go to the woods, then you should air down as low as you can, as that will give you more tread (traction).
That's why I love my jeep. Actually, the brake-lockers that come as an option are fantastic. I've been on two wheels and the jeep just sends the torque where it needs it. Fantastic technology.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Living in MA Snow is life in the winter time here the rule of thumb for my family has always been stock air until 4"s and eveything after that air down and 4 wheel drive High unless stuck or there is a layer of Ice directly on the ground and the snow caked on top go into 4 LOW. If the snow is packed down you should be able to drive right on it with out airing them down and no 4 wheel drive.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

According to arctic experts (Arctic Trucks in iceland) you air down to the lowest psi your tires can take without popping off the bead, like 5-8psi. Use that info as you see fit. This if real arctic offroading, not on a road with snow.

Quick Reply: Snow psi