Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Snow psi

Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup
the first set goes on the rear most of the time! but it can be tricky in places where your steering is critical... more than power... then the fronts are a good option. Chains can hook up and really deleiver a jolt to the drivetrain... so rear is the best to start with... less to break. But in certain circumstances the front is needed more.
Thanks!

One thing I forgot to mention about the airing down. I was using an electronic air gage, which seemed to not work well at pressures close to 10psi and below. It could have been the cold weather also. It was quite cold that day. So, the next item on my list was a mechanical gage. ;-)
Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 PM
JK Freak

One other thing that is interesting to try: air down then drive a few feet and look at the tire print. Some tire tread patterns close when aired down. My TSL/Sx's did that---had to cut grooves in them. Anyway, checking it out is worthwhile--then you know what too low is---or you can groove your tires!

Everything that was already said I pretty much agree with: that if you want to stay on top of snow--like snow bashing, then really low pressure. If driving on roads with snow, then medium-normal pressure.

The other thing we do is drive fast on snow fields to keep from sinking, kind of like sand. Lots of HP.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default lockers in snow

Originally Posted by AEVJK21
So engaging lockers are pretty much the same for snow as in mud?
Thats why Jeep alows lockers to function only in low range, On road in at road speeds with lockers locked good luck turning a corner. Without the differentials alowing different wheel speeds the vehicle is going to go straight.

Quick Reply: Snow psi