Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Snow Wheeling Question

Old 04-04-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Wheeling Question

I have experienced something a couple of times, and I am not sure what is going on.

Rig: 08' Wrangler Sahara Unlimited, limited slip dif, Michelin Ice-X 17" tires (otherwise stock)

Conditions: Slushy snow, tire sink less than 3 inches

Issue: when driving the above rig in the above conditions, usually on closed blacktop roads around slightly (< 5 degree) banked corners, I have noticed the rigs rear end start to slide downhill, and I end up almost 90 degrees to my intended direction of travel. I had an opportunity to drive the same slightly uphill road with slightly banked corners covered with slushy snow in 4wd and in 2wd. To my surprise, the rig did MUCH BETTER in 2wd.

So what is the limited slip dif doing in 4WD that is upsetting the vehicle balance?

Thanks--Scott
Old 04-05-2009, 05:06 PM
JK Junkie

I can't help you because I have a Rubicon (not the same locking system) but I can tell you that your Michelin tires that you have are the best for ice, but they are the worst tires for snow and slush, it's even dangerous in deep snow. If I were you, I would sell these tires and buy REAL TIRES made for off-road vehicules

Last edited by Yoda; 04-05-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
I can't help you because I have a Rubicon (not the same locking system) but I can tell you that your Michelin tires that you have are the best for ice, but they are the worst tires for snow and slush, it's even dangerous in deep snow. If I were you, I would sell these tires and buy REAL TIRES made for off-road vehicules
I'm trying to figure out the vehicle dynamics operative here. No argument that these are not the best tires for deep snow. The rig also did this with the stock 18" Sahara wheels (I can't recall what they are).
Old 04-06-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought in 4 wheel drive the limited slip is off or is that esp?

Red
Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have to guess that when you did it in 4wd you were closer to the left ditch than when you did it in 2wd.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkkat
I would have to guess that when you did it in 4wd you were closer to the left ditch than when you did it in 2wd.
Nope--did it by driving in the same tracks. Did it four times--4wd, then 2wd, then 4wd, then 2wd--in both directions. It makes no sense to me, but i was trying to be somewhat scientific about it.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Probably a weight issue the front has the engine and the rear has carpet

In 4 hi the wheels are most likely dragging your as around that is why in 2 hi you think it is better
Old 04-08-2009, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking for a good all around tire for both winter and summer check out the General Grabber AT2. I live in the mountains and was looking for a tire that was good on snow and ice, but not a straight winter tire being that they are so soft and the pavement would eat them up in like 10,000 miles. These look so close to the BFG T/A's, but are two thirds the price. I had them on my last Jeep and been running them for a few years now. I would love to put some mud tires on, but would just slip and slide on the snow and ice. I think they make them up to a 35" or 36".

Here's a link so you can check them out.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Grabber+AT+2
Old 04-15-2009, 10:27 PM
JK Freak

Talking

Moses Ludel commented on that phenomenon in the Jeep Owner's Bible. I would look up the exact quote but
I am out of town. He wrote that the limited slip on a slope like that pulled him down each time.

Last edited by Dubya; 04-16-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Super Freak

I've never run your test.............. But I do drive in snow regularly both here and in the mountains where the roads are all sloped without incidence. I agree with the above that it's at least partially your tires and/or speed.

I run a Wrangler (2 dr) stock Rubi. tires and wheels at about 34 psi. - no problems or sliding issues. Neither in 2 or 4wd.

Quick Reply: Snow Wheeling Question