Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

So much going through my head! HELP LIFT MY JEEP!!!

Old 06-28-2015, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just do a spacer lift and 33s if I were you. or get a body lift. doing a cheap lift is going to make you not like driving it and people that know about lifts/suspension will just think it looks dumb and is an incomplete lift.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Twietfeld1
The 4 inch old man emu is a great lift I installed it myself, was not to difficult. I enjoy having the extra room for when I get 37s after the 35s
I absolutely love that look and the old man emu suspensions. I just don't want to have to replace the from driveshaft.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

I did not replace the driveshafts... Rugged ridge makes an exhaust spacer kit, to allow more travel room for the front drive shaft, it's around 20 dollars
Old 07-03-2015, 02:23 AM
JK Newbie

4" Evo coils, rancho rs9000xl's, rancho control arm brackets, JKS track bars, terraflex front discos and rough country rear links, and terraflex bump stops. You'll need to fab up some rear brake line drop brackets and remove the front brake line to axle brackets. Should run you around $1400 ish and ride like a caddy. You'll be fine with the 4" lift and you'll be glad you didn't settle on something you didn't want. Driveshafts will last a good while, I'm at almost 30k on this setup and zero issues so far.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Lifts aren't for looks. And if there's one thing that most pick-up truck drivers have no clue about, it's lifting a vehicle and what it does. There are plenty of very sound reasons that you don't not want to lift too high, and some of them have been mentioned by others already. If you want to drive a Jeep and look cool for people who actually know about Jeeps and using them off-road (and I understand you don't plan to, which is fine, but at least you'd like to look the part, right?), then suggest that you disregard what clueless pick-up owners do and read this very informative thread by Dirtman before asking any more questions:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/

Also, this particular sub-forum is for basic "how to" questions about driving off-road. "When do I engage lockers?" "How do I safely use my winch?" That kind of stuff. There is a much better forum for asking about mods and it's called--surprise!--"Modified JK Tech". If you post there, your questions will have a better chance at being seen by other people, many of whom are very experienced and smart about this kind of stuff (not trying to dis on anyone who's already done you the courtesy of providing answers). Maybe you'll luck out and the moderators will move this thread for you.
Wow. Thanks. New to jeeps and the forum but not automotive. Great write up by dirtman and respectful clarification by you. What I thought I wanted ... is not what i really want or need for my application. Logic and geometry speaks volumes! Looking cool was done when I got the jeep.
The following users liked this post:
Jnorton (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2015, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

another vote for getting a tire carrier. I've been running 33's for almost 2 years now on the stock carrier and it's starting to rattle/ tilt. I go off roading a lot more than you, but it's only going to be a matter of time till you will need a tire carrier, and a new tail gate if u wait long enough.

pretty sure everyone covered the cheap lift, but have u considered a 2.5 inch lift with a fender trim? you could do that properly for under $1000. and 35's will look great!
Old 09-02-2015, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

You really don't want to run any more lift than you need to get the tires to fit, especially with minimal off road use. I'm running 34" tires with no rubbing even when disconnected on a 1.5" lift. For your intended use, I'd do a 1.5" Terraflex Leveling kit and a 1.25" body lift (total for both should be $300-$350) and throw on some 35's. That will keep your drive line angles manageable and will be much easier to drive on the highway. It will also be very easy to return to stock if needed.

Going any bigger on the tires is going to require gears (and depending on what gears you have now, the 35's will be pushing it, I have 4.10's and the 34's caused a noticeable drop in acceleration) and will give your D30 front axle fits.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:28 PM
JK Newbie

Hey everyone, what are your thoughts on the 3" Pro Comp nitro leveling kit. I'm really not doing any off reading, it's just for the look. I plan on getting some 33" tires in the future. Would the stock Goodyear Wrangler tires on 17" wheels still fit with the 3" leveling kit? I was just thinking that this would be an inexpensive way to get the look while maintaining all warranties and stock ride. It'd also be a super easy install too lol. Let me know what you think.

Here is the link: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspensio...t_pn=EXP66150K

Would this be everything I need?

Thanks all!

Last edited by WranglerBoss; 11-25-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If you will read the links that were given to you the answer would be clear. 33" tires driven on the street do not need a lift to fit, they only need proper backspacing on the wheels.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If you will read the links that were given to you the answer would be clear. 33" tires driven on the street do not need a lift to fit, they only need proper backspacing on the wheels.
I get that. My question is will the factory 17" wheels with the factory Goodyear Wrangler tires fit after installing the leveling kit.

Quick Reply: So much going through my head! HELP LIFT MY JEEP!!!