Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Some good cheap off roading essentials?

Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some good cheap off roading essentials?

I personally am kinda new to the off roading world, I have gone off roading on three different tracks but I don't really know what I should keep on hand or attach to my jeep for a more safer and better off roading experience. New Person to the world of off roading, sorry if I dont know exactly what to do
Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Think safety and recovery first. I have been on many trips where a Jeep breaks something and the repair requirs an unexpected night on the trail. Always bring some food and water and proper clothing for the night time temps.

For recovery, a highlift jack is a great multitool. It can be used for too many thing to list here but do some searching and you will see it is a must. Also bring some basic tools.

More advanced guys will bring extra axles and other parts. Also, I always bring acr style welding rods for the battery/jumper cable welding needs. Basically things break and the more you plan the better off you are. Know how close you are to town and pack more the farther out you go.

I remember a story of some guys running across a group that had been stuck on the Rubicon for 4 days, out of food and no clue how to fix their Jeep. The guys that found them had the Jeep fixed in a couple hours and got them back to town... Be prepared.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKbender
Think safety and recovery first. I have been on many trips where a Jeep breaks something and the repair requirs an unexpected night on the trail. Always bring some food and water and proper clothing for the night time temps.

For recovery, a highlift jack is a great multitool. It can be used for too many thing to list here but do some searching and you will see it is a must. Also bring some basic tools.

More advanced guys will bring extra axles and other parts. Also, I always bring acr style welding rods for the battery/jumper cable welding needs. Basically things break and the more you plan the better off you are. Know how close you are to town and pack more the farther out you go.

I remember a story of some guys running across a group that had been stuck on the Rubicon for 4 days, out of food and no clue how to fix their Jeep. The guys that found them had the Jeep fixed in a couple hours and got them back to town... Be prepared.
I remember this happening on a video WOL posted.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ninjajmoney

I remember this happening on a video WOL posted.
That might be the story I was thinking of then... They all blend together over the years.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Junkie

I have a medium large mil spec hard case, in it I have socket wrenches and regular trenches in both American and metric, ditto on Allen wrenches, spare fuse kit, solder and butane solder iron

At least one gallon of water, complete change of clothes (both warm weather ie shorts and cold weather jeans and sweat shirts plus rain gear - ll bean deep mud hunting style waterproof boots)

And of course a rescue strap, duct tape, rescue tape and stainless steel bailing wire and zip ties

Roll of toilet paper in zip lock Baggie

That should give you some ideas...

I don't have a hi lift or winch yet but I never do any real wheeling alone and the group I do wheel with has plenty of guys with hi lifts, winches and welder s

Matthew
Old 12-03-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by coolred1
I personally am kinda new to the off roading world, I have gone off roading on three different tracks but I don't really know what I should keep on hand or attach to my jeep for a more safer and better off roading experience. New Person to the world of off roading, sorry if I dont know exactly what to do
Do a search on this subject,there's a few threads on this
Old 12-03-2012, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

At minimum I would have front and rear tow points + tow strap.

Tools are a good idea too, but only if you know what to do with them.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

A shovel is all you need.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Depending on where ur wheeling will change what specific things u need but basics are.....

Tools.....
Knife, flashlight, 3/8 & 1/4" drive wratchet sets, open end/box end wrenches, channel locks, vise grips, pliers, and a few screw drivers (all this fits in rear cargo compartment)

I also keep a bin with recovery equipment such as.....
Tow straps, tow chains, tow cables, snatch strap, snatch block, come-a-long, various hooks & D rings, HiLift jack

Most importantly DONT EVER forget about SAFETY equipment......
I keep a good first aid kit, fire extinguisher, lighter, waterproof matches, map, compass, extra sweaters, blankets, and a dry change of clothes

I keep ALL of this stuff in my JKU at all times and u would never know it's there.... U can store all this stuff in ur JK and it won't be all cluttered even though there's a lot of stuff.... If ur planning on going on a trip obviously pack accordingly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-06-2012, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
Depending on where ur wheeling will change what specific things u need but basics are.....

Tools.....
Knife, flashlight, 3/8 & 1/4" drive wratchet sets, open end/box end wrenches, channel locks, vise grips, pliers, and a few screw drivers (all this fits in rear cargo compartment)

I also keep a bin with recovery equipment such as.....
Tow straps, tow chains, tow cables, snatch strap, snatch block, come-a-long, various hooks & D rings, HiLift jack

Most importantly DONT EVER forget about SAFETY equipment......
I keep a good first aid kit, fire extinguisher, lighter, waterproof matches, map, compass, extra sweaters, blankets, and a dry change of clothes

I keep ALL of this stuff in my JKU at all times and u would never know it's there.... U can store all this stuff in ur JK and it won't be all cluttered even though there's a lot of stuff.... If ur planning on going on a trip obviously pack accordingly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk 2
Have any pics of where you keep all that. Seems like a lot...even in a four door

Quick Reply: Some good cheap off roading essentials?