Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Stability Control related question

Old 09-10-2015, 08:49 PM
aro
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stability Control related question

I am trying to wrap my head around the features of my new Willlys. Let's say I go to the desert and I turn ESC entirely OFF in 4Hi. This will allow me more wheel spin in the sand. So far, so good. I might sometimes want to spin when getting stuck.

However, will the Brake Limited Differential kick in and stop the spinning that I actually want (and that I got by turning off ESC)? BLD can't be turned off after all
Old 09-10-2015, 10:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Traction control will be off, but the BLD will always be active. I think the difference is it won't throttle back by itself as it would if you hadn't turned the ESP off.

Here is a chart showing the various modes.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:12 AM
aro
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Traction control will be off, but the BLD will always be active. I think the difference is it won't throttle back by itself as it would if you hadn't turned the ESP off.
So, on one hand I turn off ESC to allow for more spin, and on the other hand BLD kicks in and takes away some of the spin. It seems like those two features work against each other in this instance.But then.... I might be wrong, I really don't have experience with this...

Thanks for the chart !
Old 09-11-2015, 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by aro
So, on one hand I turn off ESC to allow for more spin, and on the other hand BLD kicks in and takes away some of the spin. It seems like those two features work against each other in this instance.But then.... I might be wrong, I really don't have experience with this... Thanks for the chart !
The BDL doesn't brake nearly as hard as the traction control. It insures that both wheels will spin rather than just one, it's like a limited slip differential, but it works through your brake system.

I have to admit, I'm on my mobile, so I can't tell the specs of your Jeep. If it is not a Sahara you very likely have an open differential, or you have a locker, which is an open differential until you lock it out. In either case, the BDL, (unlike that stupid traction control side of the system) is quite helpful. It is basically a much more advanced version of the old-school hand brake trick to force both wheels to spin rather than just one.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:30 AM
aro
JK Newbie

I have a 2015 Willys, which comes with Trac-Lock.

I don't disagree at all that BLD is very useful, but there are those rare circumstances when you wouldn't want BLD to kick in. An on/off switch would have been helpful, but probably not worth the expense and complexity. I read that the ABS fuse might achieve that...
Old 09-11-2015, 10:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by aro
I have a 2015 Willys, which comes with Trac-Lock.

I don't disagree at all that BLD is very useful, but there are those rare circumstances when you wouldn't want BLD to kick in. An on/off switch would have been helpful, but probably not worth the expense and complexity. I read that the ABS fuse might achieve that...
There is a good mod for a kill switch for the whole shebang, it also kills the ABS, so I only use it for slower speed off road type stuff, or playing around on gravel roads. There are a couple of good write-ups on it, I'll try to see if I can find the one I followed and post a link. It is my favorite mod yet.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

It took a little hunting, had to come at it from google and then go through another forum to find the link, but this is the best write-up I have seen yet on it, and the one I followed. Super simple, can be done in an hour or two at the most.

The only thing is it kills all stability aids, including the ABS, The cruise control won't work either (I tried it just to see), and to bring the aids back on you have to flip the witch back to normal and then cut off and restart the Jeep.

Hope this helps.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...riteup-260247/

Happy Jeeping!
Old 09-11-2015, 11:32 AM
aro
JK Newbie

Beautiful, thanks!

Quick Reply: Stability Control related question