Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Stalling while stuck in mud

Old 04-29-2011, 05:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling while stuck in mud

So, I went out muddin' last night and got stuck right up to the doors. Not a problem since I have my winch and I had it in 4L and my lockers on but while getting her out, I DIDN'T use the clutch, she kept stalling out and had trouble starting a couple of times. I did notice I had the brake depressed a couple of times but even when I didn't, she kept sputtering and acted like she didn't want to start. Any advice or anyone also experience anything like this? I'm hoping I didn't get any nasty water into anything important! It was dark after I got her out so I'll check her out after work.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

You know, I'm leaning towards staying away from deep mud for awhile, at least until I get a lift! I'm washing her up as SOON as I get home today. I want to spray the engine out too but worried about hitting anything electrical with water. Any suggestions there??
Old 04-29-2011, 08:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirtyDi
You know, I'm leaning towards staying away from deep mud for awhile, at least until I get a lift! I'm washing her up as SOON as I get home today. I want to spray the engine out too but worried about hitting anything electrical with water. Any suggestions there??
Wash away my friend...you really can't hurt or damage much with spraying out the engine bay. When you clean out your rad just use a garden hose with no attachments so you don't damage your fins & rinse from both sides. I usually take a powerwasher underneath and then go for a ride down by the river and drive through the water to remove most of the mud under the belly. However, if you don't have that option...place a water sprinkler under your jeep for a few hours and let it rinse some of the mud underneath the JK.

As for stalling....it could have been your brakes grabbing with the mud and the electronic throttle delay getting fussy! I have not had any issues with stalling in mud, just going up steep inclines is where I have had trouble restarting my engine

Just do a check on your diff's for any water contamination (chocolate milk color), but I would say your tranny & transfer case was safe if you only went up to the doors. Check your air-box for any mud/water but highly unlikey anything entired if you didn't splash around.

Oh in regards to Youri...he hates Mud & water and is just pulling another "Youri" comment about mud! Enjoy the mud, but just prepare your rig for mud & water crossings by extending your Diff, Transfer Case and Tranny Breather Tubes and if you want, invest in a snorkel if you are going to play in really deep stuff! Then go have fun it's a Jeep not a Honda!

I love mud and water!!!

Old 04-29-2011, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

^Great quote in your sig!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Wash away my friend...you really can't hurt or damage much with spraying out the engine bay. When you clean out your rad just use a garden hose with no attachments so you don't damage your fins & rinse from both sides. I usually take a powerwasher underneath and then go for a ride down by the river and drive through the water to remove most of the mud under the belly. However, if you don't have that option...place a water sprinkler under your jeep for a few hours and let it rinse some of the mud underneath the JK.

As for stalling....it could have been your brakes grabbing with the mud and the electronic throttle delay getting fussy! I have not had any issues with stalling in mud, just going up steep inclines is where I have had trouble restarting my engine

Just do a check on your diff's for any water contamination (chocolate milk color), but I would say your tranny & transfer case was safe if you only went up to the doors. Check your air-box for any mud/water but highly unlikey anything entired if you didn't splash around.

Oh in regards to Youri...he hates Mud & water and is just pulling another "Youri" comment about mud! Enjoy the mud, but just prepare your rig for mud & water crossings by extending your Diff, Transfer Case and Tranny Breather Tubes and if you want, invest in a snorkel if you are going to play in really deep stuff! Then go have fun it's a Jeep not a Honda!

I love mud and water!!!

Thanks Triple! I love your pics BTW. So how do you check the color of the diff fluid?? I've also been thinking about the breather tubes for my diffs, I just gotta do more research. Thanks again!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

So, I went out muddin' last night and got stuck right up to the doors. Not a problem since I have my winch and I had it in 4L and my lockers on but while getting her out, I DIDN'T use the clutch, she kept stalling out and had trouble starting a couple of times. I did notice I had the brake depressed a couple of times but even when I didn't, she kept sputtering and acted like she didn't want to start. Any advice or anyone also experience anything like this? I'm hoping I didn't get any nasty water into anything important! It was dark after I got her out so I'll check her out after work.
one problem i had with sputtering and that was my intake piping to the throttle body came undone...(and when this happens the POS will barley start) so i had to tighten it back up.and put it on. it had to be loose from when the dealer worked on it bc the clamp was at the very end of loose.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Triple! I love your pics BTW. So how do you check the color of the diff fluid?? I've also been thinking about the breather tubes for my diffs, I just gotta do more research. Thanks again!
Just crack open the top fill plug in each diff and take a peek with a flash light or dip your finger in to see if you can see the color. However, I usually just grab a small syringe that I have kicking around and stick it in and suck out some fluid to see the color.

If it's looks at all milky or chocolate milk color time for a fresh oil change. If you do have water in them I highly recommend you drain out the diff's and then pull off the differential cover and use some brake cleaner too give it a good cleaning and add some royal purple 75w90 gear oil.

good write-up on diff fluid change;

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...hange-write-up

Breather tubes...easy job!

5/16 regular fuel line...not fuel injector line (spendy), a few hose clamps and zipties is all you need.

For the rear differential - I ran it up into the passenger taillight area.

For the transfer case & front diff & tranny I ran the new lines up into the engine compartment.

A few good threads for breather tube extenstions: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ube-Extensions

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...hose-extension

Quick Reply: Stalling while stuck in mud