Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

A (stupid) question about towing people out when they get stuck.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A (stupid) question about towing people out when they get stuck.

Hey everyone,

This forum is chocked full of people who volunteer their time to read beginner questions like mine over the past month or so, and I really appreciate it.

One question I have that I havent gotten around to asking (nor have I seen it asked...which makes me think its a bad one) is how does something like a jeep manage to recover another vehicle when it's stuck?

Since jeeps are rated to tow 2,000 lbs, and a stock X weighs 3782 lbs (6 speed), I find myself wondering how a jeep recovers another jeep, let alone a hummer or truck.

At first I had thought maybe 4-Low gave us extra power that maybe we could use to help tow it out, or that maybe the driver of the stuck vehicle was pushing on the accelerator while reversing and being towed out (however that hardly seemed safe).

Anyone car to explain how this is possible?

As always, thanks for the help.

Oh also, if theres a heavy snow (I live in KS, so we dont get it like you folks in Maine do) and something like a Rav4 or sedan gets stuck (ie something without recovery points) where do you hook the tow strap to? Dig under the snow to strap it to the frame?

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:06 AM
gpb
JK Enthusiast

Towing capacity is also related to how stable the vehicle is when going down the road with the load attached. The shorter wheelbase of the 2-dr models means a lower rated towing capacity. Towing capacity is also talking about high gear cruising, not a low speed pull.

As to the weights - when you'll pulling a vehicle out of the ditch or something it isn't that you're lifting into the air. While weight comes into play, unless it's buried you're not pulling the entire weight of the vehicle.

Finally, if assisting someone with a pull-out it's smart to have the owner of the stuck vehicle make the attachment. Give them guidance about hooking to a frame member. If that means crawling around and digging under it, then so be it. That way if something breaks they have a tough time making it your fault.

(I'm in Atlanta now but spent far too many winters shoveling snow in western NY state)
Old 07-14-2009, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

there is also alot of different recovery techniques. I for one never pull someone out in reverse unless I HAVE zero choice. You can more power by being in drive. So if I have to turn around on the trail, or drive infront of them if stuck in snow then so be it. Also good recovery equipment is key.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by teamonthree
Hey everyone,

This forum is chocked full of people who volunteer their time to read beginner questions like mine over the past month or so, and I really appreciate it.

One question I have that I havent gotten around to asking (nor have I seen it asked...which makes me think its a bad one) is how does something like a jeep manage to recover another vehicle when it's stuck?

Since jeeps are rated to tow 2,000 lbs, and a stock X weighs 3782 lbs (6 speed), I find myself wondering how a jeep recovers another jeep, let alone a hummer or truck.

At first I had thought maybe 4-Low gave us extra power that maybe we could use to help tow it out, or that maybe the driver of the stuck vehicle was pushing on the accelerator while reversing and being towed out (however that hardly seemed safe).

Anyone car to explain how this is possible?

As always, thanks for the help.

Oh also, if theres a heavy snow (I live in KS, so we dont get it like you folks in Maine do) and something like a Rav4 or sedan gets stuck (ie something without recovery points) where do you hook the tow strap to? Dig under the snow to strap it to the frame?

Thanks.

You should be using a recovery strap (snatch strap) which is a nylon strap designed to stretch, then return the kenetic energy as it recoils, therefore you can in certain situations recover larger vehicles. Every 4WD should carry at least one snatch strap and 2 rated bow shackles at all times. They should be rated to suit your vehicle ie if you attempt to recover a larger or very well stuck vehicle the equipment will fail before it puts undue stress on your jeep. There are principles you should apply but I haven't got them at hand but i use a 8000lb strap and 3 3/4 ton shackles, which is more than enough for the jeep. The key is to use the equipment, you dont go fast, 2nd low, constant speed, approx 10 ft slack, should recover most stuck vehicles.

Let them connect it themselves - lesson learnt - if they were prepared they would have their own gear.

It is also a bit of etiquette to use your gear to recover your jeep.

hope this helps
Old 07-14-2009, 07:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually its that X factor that we do have that extra traction that the other vehicle does not.

also with use of a Recovery strap that expands then contracts giving that first couple of seconds of momentum.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're talking about straight winching, it's a good idea to have an anchor point for the Jeep in the rear, like say to a large tree. That way the Jeep will remain stationary and the full load of the winch can be applied to the vehicle being recovered.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

A quality snatch strap and clevis shackles is my most frequently used recovery gear. There is a difference between inexpensive "tow straps" and recovery or snatch straps. A tow strap is designed for a static or constant load. Use one in place of a snatch strap and run the risk of catastrophic gear failure (this is bad). Like others have said a snatch or recovery strap is designed for a dynamic load and will stretch a bit when placed under load.

With a quality snatch strap I have recovered my friends Hummers (H1 and H2s) many times and last winter a UPS truck (3 day before Christmas while helping Santa with some last minute deliveries) and a Tri-Met city bus. I have some snapshots at home or I would post them now.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

use a good strap, and allows about 6 ft of slack and floor it

just kidding, i always let ppl strap they're own vehicle unless its offroad then i tend to help the elders in my club.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any recomendations on where to attach a snatch strap on the recovery vehicle?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Hey,

Thanks for the great replies.

Just wondering though, do any of you have any experience with 3.21 gears being able to recover? I'm worried that I may not be able to recover anyone stuck.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: A (stupid) question about towing people out when they get stuck.