Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

A (stupid) question about towing people out when they get stuck.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teamonthree
Hey,

Thanks for the great replies.

Just wondering though, do any of you have any experience with 3.21 gears being able to recover? I'm worried that I may not be able to recover anyone stuck.

Thanks again.
With them slowly but steadily pushin' the gas I pulled a chevy team(?) cab out of some mud with my 3.21 gears. just go real slow. a fast jerk will break something, constant but slow is key here.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

should try this one on for size

I would NOT try this at home boys and girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The truck was stuck on ice and when i used the 30,000 Lb ARB 30' stap it gave the front tires almost room to get to pavement. used 4Lo first gear and locked, I was able to pull him out and up the hill so he couls get on the ramp for I-5. The cop was amazed and i was already there and hooked up before the cop got there.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I always let them attach the strap to their rig, if the bumper or other parts get damaged or ripped off, its their fault. If they don't have a place to attach a strap, let them call a tow truck.

After hurting my rig pulling out a few people, I ask how much money they have. It pissses me off that these people that have new rigs want a tow and don't even offer a thanks.

Nice people will always offer cash and you can decline to accept.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

That's good, but this is great:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	1057
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	27038  
Old 07-19-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a couple of questions, is there one brand that is better than the others offered on the market and are they available at $X stores or online only?
Im just getting starting outfitting our Sahara thats why I asked.
Thanks.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by donnie
Got a couple of questions, is there one brand that is better than the others offered on the market and are they available at $X stores or online only?
Im just getting starting outfitting our Sahara thats why I asked.
Thanks.
I bought an ARB 24k lb. strap and it has worked flawlessly. I am sure there are other brands out there but ARB is well know for their quality gear so I shelled out about $75 and went with them. I also like the protective coverings around the eyelet area.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teamonthree
Hey everyone,

This forum is chocked full of people who volunteer their time to read beginner questions like mine over the past month or so, and I really appreciate it.

One question I have that I havent gotten around to asking (nor have I seen it asked...which makes me think its a bad one) is how does something like a jeep manage to recover another vehicle when it's stuck?

Since jeeps are rated to tow 2,000 lbs, and a stock X weighs 3782 lbs (6 speed), I find myself wondering how a jeep recovers another jeep, let alone a hummer or truck.

At first I had thought maybe 4-Low gave us extra power that maybe we could use to help tow it out, or that maybe the driver of the stuck vehicle was pushing on the accelerator while reversing and being towed out (however that hardly seemed safe).

Anyone car to explain how this is possible?

As always, thanks for the help.

Oh also, if theres a heavy snow (I live in KS, so we dont get it like you folks in Maine do) and something like a Rav4 or sedan gets stuck (ie something without recovery points) where do you hook the tow strap to? Dig under the snow to strap it to the frame?

Thanks.
you've basicaly got 4000lbs to push/pull the other vehicle out with. it doesn't matter how heavy the other vehicle is its how stuck it is. you can push some cars out by hand with acouple of guys. as for the other question if you don't hook to the right spot alot of damage can occur. hard to hepl here as cars are diferrent.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

Kind of funny that this thread is still so close to the top.

Just towed out my first person on Labor Day. A Dodge Ram.

Surprised and proud that my little mini van engine with its 3.21 gears pulled it out.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

A 4,000 lb Jeep can recover much heavier vehicles with the proper technique and gear. With a good snatch strap, solid recovery points and a little momentum you can recovery a full size truck that is buried in the sand to the frame rails, a submerged H2, a UPS truck or even a city bus that is stuck in the snow.

You will be surprised how capable even a stock X is compared other vehicles.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:43 PM
JK Freak

A number of years ago ( OK, a LONG time ago) during a rare 3'snow in central VA, I came upon an ambulance stuck in a snow drift. I pulled him out without any prblem with my then Jeep, a CJ-7, stock with a 6 cyl.

All in how you drive

Quick Reply: A (stupid) question about towing people out when they get stuck.