Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

A (stupid) question about towing people out when they get stuck.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Atticka
Any recomendations on where to attach a snatch strap on the recovery vehicle?
I don't think anyone's answered this yet.

Your recovery points. (tow hooks)

If you don't have tow hooks or an appropriate recovery point like a frame hitch fitted with a shackle, I would not attempt to tow/recover anyone unless the circumstances were pretty dire.

Attaching to anything other than a real recovery point can do bad things to your vehicle. That's why a previous poster offered the advice (very wise advice) to let the stuck person attach the strap to their own vehicle.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah, DO NOT use the ball hitch for a recovery. That can break, and it will become a 3lb missle that can kill someone....
Old 09-10-2009, 11:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by The_Captain
Oh yeah, DO NOT use the ball hitch for a recovery. That can break, and it will become a 3lb missle that can kill someone....
Hee Hee Heee...... reminds me of my last vehicle, a 2000 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. Tried pulling out this stump...... used the dinky bumper with the hole for the ball. Ended up with a V shaped bumper
Old 09-12-2009, 11:38 PM
JK Newbie

quite a few of you have said let the owner of the bogged vehicle atatch the stretchy (snatch) strap to their own vehicle.., just be careful because if it comes off - guess where the ripped off bits go, straight at you!

so make sure that the other guy knows what they're doing or you'll wear it

the last nube I snatched out , attaced the strap to his panhard rod.

Ado
Old 09-16-2009, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Another newbie question, but do most late model cars have tow hooks on the undercarriage? I know my old 1990 Acura Integra had a small hook about a foot in from the back bumper. If this is not the case, say my buddy's Mazda 3 gets stuck this winter (as it often does), where should we attach the snatch strap?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by iawalker
Another newbie question, but do most late model cars have tow hooks on the undercarriage? I know my old 1990 Acura Integra had a small hook about a foot in from the back bumper. If this is not the case, say my buddy's Mazda 3 gets stuck this winter (as it often does), where should we attach the snatch strap?
Recovery points vary by make and model. Unless the vehicle has a recovery point or a point to attach a shackle or tree strap to a solid point that is attached to the frame I would not snatch it out unless its an emergency. Dynamic recoveries generate a tremendous amount of force that can easy pull off and launch factory bumpers, trailer hitches and suspension points if you use them as an anchor point. Some will say to let the owner of the vehicle attach the strap so that if something is damaged, its their own fault. I like to set up the recovery myself so that I know everything is set up correctly and I am less likely to damage myself, another person or my gear. Other's may disagree, its a matter of personal preference.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by IMFletch
Recovery points vary by make and model. Unless the vehicle has a recovery point or a point to attach a shackle or tree strap to a solid point that is attached to the frame I would not snatch it out unless its an emergency. Dynamic recoveries generate a tremendous amount of force that can easy pull off and launch factory bumpers, trailer hitches and suspension points if you use them as an anchor point. Some will say to let the owner of the vehicle attach the strap so that if something is damaged, its their own fault. I like to set up the recovery myself so that I know everything is set up correctly and I am less likely to damage myself, another person or my gear. Other's may disagree, its a matter of personal preference.
I concur.-dont assume the other person has a clue as to where to attach for recovery. not to mention, I dont want a shock, or tie rod coming back at me at mach 2
Old 09-17-2009, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps a compromise?

Let them make the final decision on where to attach it so that they understand that you will not be responsible for damage to their vehicle.

BUT

Don't allow them to attach to anything that you consider unsafe.

After all...as long as you are there, you have the option of giving them a lift as far as a nearby gas station until they can get a tow truck there to pull them out. Never leave someone in a position that they are in danger...but don't feel obligated to take care of every problem that you come across either - especially if it looks like it might turn out badly.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The_Captain
but it IS ok to use my hitch mounted shackle as a real recovery tow point..right?
Old 10-13-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

Yes, a 3/4" shackle that mounts into the receiver of your tow package is a sound recovery point.

Here is a pick of mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TGC_3853.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	31555   Click image for larger version

Name:	TGC_3865.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	31556  

Quick Reply: A (stupid) question about towing people out when they get stuck.