Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Suggestions for trail tools...

Old 01-06-2010, 01:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree! The last thing I want on the trial is a crap tool. Sure, you've got to keep track of the tools, but think about the enviornment your working in. Less than perfect conditions with limited tools, and time. If I'm broken, give me tools that WONT break
Old 01-06-2010, 01:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with red I have a bag-o-tools for going on trips and 4wheelin, there is no way I am emptying my tool box to go out for a trip. Also I am not loosing any of my expensive tools on the trail. I amde my bg-o-tools out of old tool kits I had laying around that were rusty or just old and cheap and it is nice... also that is my tools I lend to my friends
Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bring a shovel!

Dug myself out of trouble this very weekend with a Coleman version of the Army E-Tool. Folds up and fits in the cubbyhole in the back. A full size would've been better (I had a lot of sand to move!) but it beats the heck out of not having one!

Also, this goes along well with the TP suggestion. Don't just leave poops in the woods! Bury it a foot or so please!

A Tripod Flashlight is very handy. Stands up by itself, shines under the jeep with a tilting head. Like it.

Skull mounted flashlight is also very handy.

Edit: Oops, the guy did have shovel on his list. well, X2 on that!

Last edited by MojaveSpecial; 01-11-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alt_phil
Everytime I go wheeling, I find new tools I need. Trail repairs are needed, and you'll be happy when you have a good set of tools with ya.

I have a full set of things like, pliers, channel locks, screwdrivers, torx set, socket set, vice grips, wd-40, small hacksaw, small set of picks (clean out beads), knife, side-cuts... so forth.

Then there's the trail tools. Got a handle-all from hi-lift which gives me a shovel, sledge, pick and axe. Also have a folding tree saw which is handy when you find fallen trees and such.

Then of course the standard rescue-gear...
(2) 30' tow straps, (2) tree straps, winch, snatch block, d-shackles, hi-lift + offroad base.

And of course the safety stuff.
Good first aid kit and fire extinguisher. A poncho is nice to have along with a hoodie or something.

Ya, it's a lot. I'm near paranoid about getting in a situation when I don't have a necessary tool. And I keep finding myself in those situations. And I've used almost every tool I carry for various recovery and trail repair situations.

I guide trail rides a lot, so I make sure I'm setup to cover the guys that can't.

Next... onboard air. I really would like that.
X2! I agree whole heartedy. I carry all those tools because I'VE USED ALL THOSE TOOLS on the trail!
Old 01-12-2010, 02:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont forget to pack a half dozen of the plastic clips that always break off the transfer lever cable attachment shaft at the transfer case end, or some snap-ties. Last thing want to do out in the bush is crawl under your Jeep in the mud or snow everytime you need to swap gear ratios!

Quick Reply: Suggestions for trail tools...