Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

tire air down

Old 12-23-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont forget that airing down also reduces your chances of a tire punture because it does make your tire more plyable....Good luck out there.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

I start at 15psi for most trails.
Rarely did i need to go lower with Bfgs, but Toyos have a much stiffer side wall so i find my self going down around 10psi.

Don't be that preson holding up the group on the trail becuase you did not feel like airing down at the trail head.

x2 on the whole better ride on fire roads
Old 12-23-2010, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I go from 12-16psi and don't change it with lockers included ull never have a problem and almost every obstacle will seem like a little speed bump
Old 12-23-2010, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txnightwheeler
I go from 12-16psi and don't change it with lockers included ull never have a problem and almost every obstacle will seem like a little speed bump
I go down to 12 for deep mud.

Rocky terrain w/no mud, I go down to 25.

This is on my stock Bridgestone Duelers.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For just about every off road terrain, airing down is preferred. How much depends on the terrain and the tires.

Just remember that if you're able to easily sustain 20 mph, don't air down below 15-20 psi. Sidewall flex builds heat quickly, and heat will kill the tires. So, go slow or risk delaminating the sidewall plies and trashing the tires.

Where there is constant debate is whether or not to air down for snow.

Much depends on the depth of the snow. If you are in 3 feet of snow, airing down can help you. If in 18" or less, don't bother. The trade off is increased frontal area versus a small increase in bite. I've driven through more than 2 feet of snow without airing down and had no troubling traction issues. I later aired down to 15 PSI and saw no improvement. The bigger contact patch was offset by having to push more snow.

The debate also argues that friction is increased by increasing contact patch pressure. This is why tire manufacturers recommend going to a narrower tire for snow. Balancing this is the concern that in really deep snow, you'll sink in enough to bottom on the frame and body floor, unloading the tires, thus losing traction. Experience is the key here. Knowing when and where to air down for snow is important.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:06 PM
JK Freak

it also helps when driving over somewhat sharp rocks and skinny tree stumps

less pressure in the tire makes it harder for something to pierce them
Old 12-24-2010, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aired down is the way to be if you are offroad. It first improves the ride and secondly improves the traction to incredible levels. Just get one of those cig plug inflators and take a break at the end of the days trails to air back up and your Jeep will thank you for it. 10-15 psi depending on the kind of trails you are running.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Lex
JK Newbie

Definitely air down on soft sand. Got stuck on a soft beach today pretty much buried the jeep not too far from the waterline. Thought I was running about 20 psi. Turns out I was running about 30psi due to a dodgy gauge.

Passerby lent me his gauge, dropped it to 15psi and drove it straight out.

Although I do have couple of small bumps in the sidewall of two tires after that. Better than having it under water though.

Last edited by Lex; 12-24-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:54 AM
JK Freak

I'm far from a expery myself but I air down at the beginning of the day along with everyone else. And I air down to 13lbs. These Nitto's are stiff.
As others have said,, big differance smoothing out the ride even if I don't happen across anything overly difficult during the day. And it creates a good time to shoot the bull with the others
Old 12-25-2010, 05:07 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My recent experience with airing down was my Rubicon BFGs at 18psi molded great around rocks and gave a smooth ride. My friend's BFG ATs at 18psi are load range E and they looked like he hardly let out any air. So you'll have to figure out what works for you but it is very worth the effort.

Quick Reply: tire air down