Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Tire Air Down Guide?

Old 05-14-2010, 12:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Tire Air Down Guide?

Hi everyone,
I am just wondering if there is a guide for airing down tires? Sizes? Terrains?
Old 05-14-2010, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't had the opportunity to try it, but 12-15psi seems to be a popular recommendation for beach driving. I'll find out when I go to Outer Banks NC this summer.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

best bet is to do a search for your tires or find someone else with the same ones and see what psi they air down to
Old 05-14-2010, 02:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're usually 12-13 psi here on the rocks. It depends on the tire width, rim diameter, beadlock, terrain, weight of vehicle, tire load rating, etc.

It's usually either ask others who are doing what you're doing, or try it out yourself. I've lost one bead at 13psi because i hit it just right on a rock. No biggie with the co2 tank to take care of it.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Christine
Hi everyone,
I am just wondering if there is a guide for airing down tires? Sizes? Terrains?
The guide is as follows:

1) Get on the stuff you want to be airing down onto...a rock, sand, whatever. Measure your rim to ground distance (Sidewall height - a stick, your hand, any handy reference point)

2) Start letting air out, while watching your sidewalls and tread area.

3) When the tread area on the ground stops getting longer and wider, or, when your sidewalls are bulging out so that less of half your sidewall height remains, stop. (You are on a rock for example, and the tread will start to wrap around it...when its as wrapped as it going to get, and losing more air will simply mean you have a flatter tire, stop) Etc.

4) If you have street oriented tires, AT's, thiner walled tires, etc...you may find that you need to addd a some air back in to keep the tires from coming off the beads. Use your sidewall height as a reference, so you will REMEMBER what that is.

5) If you have thicker sidewalled tires, they can run typically with less pressure than the thinner ones. As every tire and jeep is a bit different, there IS NO one magic "Right" psi.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TEEJ
The guide is as follows:

1) Get on the stuff you want to be airing down onto...a rock, sand, whatever. Measure your rim to ground distance (Sidewall height - a stick, your hand, any handy reference point)

2) Start letting air out, while watching your sidewalls and tread area.

3) When the tread area on the ground stops getting longer and wider, or, when your sidewalls are bulging out so that less of half your sidewall height remains, stop. (You are on a rock for example, and the tread will start to wrap around it...when its as wrapped as it going to get, and losing more air will simply mean you have a flatter tire, stop) Etc.

4) If you have street oriented tires, AT's, thiner walled tires, etc...you may find that you need to addd a some air back in to keep the tires from coming off the beads. Use your sidewall height as a reference, so you will REMEMBER what that is.

5) If you have thicker sidewalled tires, they can run typically with less pressure than the thinner ones. As every tire and jeep is a bit different, there IS NO one magic "Right" psi.

Thanks, that explains everything.

Quick Reply: Tire Air Down Guide?