Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Tire Pressure?

Old 04-06-2012, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure?

I meant to throw this in with my stock slider question--What pressure do people run the the BFG M/Ts at for mild to moderate wheeling? I was thinking somewhere around 18 psi.......
Old 04-07-2012, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt go below 15lbs
those tires develope leaky beads real easy,
Old 04-07-2012, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by surefire
i wouldnt go below 15lbs
those tires develope leaky beads real easy,
Aha..thankyou. I may no even air down at all--mostly just be soft roading today to make sure all the goodies work. That poor Rubi has seen nothing but pavement since new, and is developing a bit of a complex.......
Old 04-07-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PaddyMurphy
I meant to throw this in with my stock slider question--What pressure do people run the the BFG M/Ts at for mild to moderate wheeling? I was thinking somewhere around 18 psi.......
Let me know what you end up going down to. I'm going wheeling next weekend and was thinking about going to 20....
Old 04-07-2012, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just did some mild wheeling and left them at 35 PSI.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 1Jeepdaddy
Let me know what you end up going down to. I'm going wheeling next weekend and was thinking about going to 20....
Just got back from the maiden voyage, and I knocked pressure down to 20--no problems whatsoever--made a huge difference in ride quality on the FSR (logging road). Will likely go with 18 next time out. The ARB E-Z Deflator is worth every penny if you are going to change air pressure, and I'm running the stock BFG M/Ts that came with the truck.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default EZ Deflator

Just got back from the maiden voyage, and I knocked pressure down to 20--no problems whatsoever--made a huge difference in ride quality on the FSR (logging road). Will likely go with 18 next time out. The ARB E-Z Deflator is worth every penny if you are going to change air pressure, and I'm running the stock BFG M/Ts that came with the truck.
I may have to go with my tire gauge the first time then purchase the deflator next time...Thanks for the info.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

I had gone as low as 12. Then lost a bead. Now I wont go lower than 20.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

I'd say air pressure depends on terrain. Logging roads 18 lbs no problem, it's easier on the kidneys. For rocks, trees, and stumps, I go lower to get the benefit of wrapping tread on the obstacle. Suggest playing with pressure until it feels right to you. I regularly go down to 12lbs on the trails.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Agreed on 16-18 for comfy FS road ride. I've found 12 to be great for most moderate to difficult terrain. It is possible to blow a bead at 12 depending on sidewalk flex, wheel seat and more likely going too fast and hitting a bump. So far my buddies without beadlocks haven't blown a bead , but we've reset other rigs who have on the trail; it isn't hard with onboard air and a big ratched strap around the tire diameter. We did have to air down to 8 psi in Moab to get up Metal Masher's Widow Maker.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure?