Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Tire pressure for snow wheeling

Old 10-29-2011, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

out of curiosity, does anybody have the pressure suggestion? the basic crux of the OP's question seems to have been lost in our fun....
Old 10-29-2011, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I run about 16-18 PSI

im not about to go any lower than that as i don't have beadlocks (stock 18's)
Old 10-29-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matti
I run about 16-18 PSI

im not about to go any lower than that as i don't have beadlocks (stock 18's)
Is it a must to air down in snow??? Or just for better traction??
Just asking cause if I'm driving along with tire pressure at 33psi and I see a field full of snow...... Will I get stuck if I don't air down?!!!!!! Thx
Old 10-29-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NH-JK
Lower. Make your foot print wider for better traction/ floatabilty on the snow. Dont go to low, if you lose the bead and the tire deflates it will suck! Especially if you don't have onboard air.
At the risk of getting put in the third seat where I can't see cartoons on the DVD screen . . .

Anywhere I've lived in the west where there is lots of snow, (I've lived where the annual snowfall is 13 feet!) common wisdom is that narrrow tires put more pressure on the snow and get better traction. Most of the loggers run 4x4 pickups with 205/85 tires in winter. The same dudes may put on wide tires in summer for better traction on loose dirt and rocky logging trails.

Moses Ludel says the same thing in his Jeep books.

BUT - reducing tire pressure DOES improve traction in the snow - however I kinda think its because of extra length of the contact patch rather than width.

BTW, if you are spinning the tires and going nowhere in that icy greasy crap that happens right around 32 degrees, pouring bleach on the tires increases the traction temporarily. I'm no chemist, so have no idea why. Just don't let your GF stand in the spray from the tires
Old 10-29-2011, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

well getting stuck depends on alot of things....

quality of tires, pressure, lockers, etc.....

also how much u foot fuck the skinny pedal will have a big effect.....
Old 10-29-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

As low as you can without piping a bead then hit it with air tank a Nbx carry on. 6 to 8 psi here bias no bead locks.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoot for in between 10 and 12. If its deep and crusty, this will help you float a bit. If its powdery and dense, the shovel should be close at hand.

If you get stuck, back up a bit and give it another run. Do not sit and spin your tires, that will dig you under.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure for snow wheeling