Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

trail etiquette question

Old 09-06-2010, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trail etiquette question

OK first off I did try and search and didn't know what key word to use. We were out riding today on a very tight narrow rocky trail on a very steep mountain and were wondering what would happen if we came across someone coming the other way. What is good trail etiquette in a situation such as this, I.e. who should yield the trail when it is impossible to turn around or drive side by side.

Just wondering
Old 09-06-2010, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

The bigger vehicle always has the right of way.

Easy rule, uphill has the right of way. When it come to someone needed to back out of a situation we've always gone by the rule of which way is the quickest or easiest to back out. Size of the group may come in to play. Say you've got two Jeep in one direction and 10 in the other. Obviously it is going to be easier to back 2 Jeeps up than it is to back 10 (depending on the terrain). Get out and discuss it and figure out which is going to be the best way.

Last edited by Scooter_Trash; 09-06-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:43 PM
JK Super Freak

If I remember correctly, I think the guy coming down the hill has to back up and make room at the next available space.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wartoy
If I remember correctly, I think the guy coming down the hill has to back up and make room at the next available space.
Except that unless it's a smooth trail, it's usually easier to back down rocks than to back up rocks.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Alec
Except that unless it's a smooth trail, it's usually easier to back down rocks than to back up rocks.
Do I get partial credit?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wartoy
Do I get partial credit?
A for effort
Old 09-07-2010, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

Obviously this is situationally dependant. This is where getting out of your vehicle and discussing options with the other party comes into affect.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:07 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

I guess proper trail etiquite would require some planning ahead. Don't hit a difficult section prior to making sure no one is coming. If you approach an obstacle, make sure it is clear before you go. If someone is already on it, back off and let them get through.

When you do get to that point where you don't know who should go first, get out, talk to the other guy/people and figure out what to do. Safety is always paramount. This applies to comfort level as well. If it is "safe" to back off of something, but you don't feel comfortable, say so. No one wants a wreck on the trail. After safety, simplicity is the next criteria. Figure out who has to back up the least. However, 2 vehilces are easier to back up 500 yards then 10 are to back up 200. It may also be easier for the two vehilces to pull off to the side than a larger group, but it takes a lot less time for two vehicles to negotiate an obstacle than to wait for ten.

I always try my best to be accomodating to the oncoming traffic, and try to give them the right of way. I also hope they do the same, which they mostly do. It often results in a friendly conversation with tips about which trails to take and where people are meeting up in the evening. So, I would say, proper trail ettiquite is to get out and discuss options as well as well as a pleasant exchange, offers for assistance, swapped numbers, and a larger group for dinner. Oh yeah, and the safest most efficient way to pass one another.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alec
Yes it may be easier backing down rocks than up, but incorrect all the same.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red
I guess proper trail etiquite would require some planning ahead. Don't hit a difficult section prior to making sure no one is coming. If you approach an obstacle, make sure it is clear before you go. If someone is already on it, back off and let them get through.

When you do get to that point where you don't know who should go first, get out, talk to the other guy/people and figure out what to do. Safety is always paramount. This applies to comfort level as well. If it is "safe" to back off of something, but you don't feel comfortable, say so. No one wants a wreck on the trail. After safety, simplicity is the next criteria. Figure out who has to back up the least. However, 2 vehilces are easier to back up 500 yards then 10 are to back up 200. It may also be easier for the two vehilces to pull off to the side than a larger group, but it takes a lot less time for two vehicles to negotiate an obstacle than to wait for ten.

I always try my best to be accomodating to the oncoming traffic, and try to give them the right of way. I also hope they do the same, which they mostly do. It often results in a friendly conversation with tips about which trails to take and where people are meeting up in the evening. So, I would say, proper trail ettiquite is to get out and discuss options as well as well as a pleasant exchange, offers for assistance, swapped numbers, and a larger group for dinner. Oh yeah, and the safest most efficient way to pass one another.

Kind of what I thought. I haven't done many trail rides and always thought common sense is the best way to go

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input

Quick Reply: trail etiquette question