Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Transfer Case Shifting

Old 11-06-2009, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Shifting

So I've read the Jeep manual, and believe this is what they were attempting to say:

Shift from 2H to 4H: Any speed up to 80Km/h, no need to depress clutch or be in neutral.

Shift from 4H to N to 4L: 3-5km/hr roll, depress clutch, shift to neutral, then shift to 4L

Did i interpret this correctly? Just want to make sure that I don't need to use my clutch to change from 2H to 4H, the manual didn't say to, but that surprised me so I wanted to check.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2009, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

You're pretty much on the money. You can shift on the fly so to speak anywhere up to 60mph(US) and no need to use the clutch. Shifting into 4LO you just need to rolling at a few KM/hr in neutral to make that shift.

One piece of advice since it sounds like you just got your Jeep. Don't force the transfer case shifter if you're having difficulty getting it into 4LO or else you'll break the linkage.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2009, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it better when stopped but the drive line must be unloaded.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Yep, new to Jeeps - and loving it! And that's without even having had the top/doors off yet (too cold here) or having been off road yet.

Thanks for the responses, I just had to make sure so I don't do anything stupid.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Just a quick note though; if you're rolling & the transfer case grinds loudly when you try to shift out of 4-low, it means you're moving a little too fast. Should only be just moving when you do it; I usually do it stationary on a slight incline, & just roll forwards or backwards slightly to let the gears mesh or disengage.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kkuntz01
Shifting into 4LO you just need to rolling at a few KM/hr in neutral to make that shift.
Not with my Jeep. If I do it, I hear an awfull noise I have to be at zero mph and it's just perfect. I don't understand why my JK is like that.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
Not with my Jeep. If I do it, I hear an awfull noise I have to be at zero mph and it's just perfect. I don't understand why my JK is like that.
I'm learning it's an art to shift into 4LO w/o the grinding. There is a sweet spot for the right amount of momentum, not to much but just enough to make the shift nice and smooth. I talked to a buddy of mine in my club about it and was told not to worry to much about it. The grinding sounds much worse than it really is. I tend to listen to him as he knows his way around a Jeep very well. I tend to believe that as I've heard that from others as well. The trick is not to try and force the shifter, because when you do you end up breaking that linkage connecting the cable to the transfer case.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKlad
Just a quick note though; if you're rolling & the transfer case grinds loudly when you try to shift out of 4-low, it means you're moving a little too fast. Should only be just moving when you do it; I usually do it stationary on a slight incline, & just roll forwards or backwards slightly to let the gears mesh or disengage.
Yep, i always stick it on an incline to shift to 4-low. Let it just creep and fall in.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

You know, I have to stop in mine to get it into 4lo as well. With my last 2 Wranglers (04 TJ-X and 08 JK-X) I had, I needed to be rolling/coasting slowly to go into 4lo smoothly. With this Rubi though, I cannot get it into 4lo while rolling no matter what. But if I go into N, and coast to a stop, it goes into 4lo flawlessly. I wonder if it has to do with the Rubi transfer case gearing
Old 11-24-2009, 11:01 AM
JK Super Freak

The slower you go to get into 4 low the better, you really do want to keep it below 5 mph. Also, when shifting out, it can kinda be a PITA, but again stay slow and youa re good.

As far as shifting to 4 hi form 2 hi, you can do that at pretty much most speeds, but I am always sure to be under about 20mph. Mostly only use it (if necessary) in snow or when doing mild muddy trails...

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Shifting