Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

use of co2

Old 07-16-2008, 02:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HITMONEY
I don't know what you are referring too, but I was gonna ask you to check and see if my rear main seal was leaking while you were down there.

sorry man ... no rear end checks either
Old 07-16-2008, 02:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

right on. im in the proccess of putting one together and want to make sure the money will be well spent... thanks for the info.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

***Good things about N2... N2 molecules are bigger meaning they won't leak or bleed through the rubber as easily as CO2 or O2 or plain ole air. N2 will not release any moisture into your tire from condensation (Co2 is a very dry gas but is very cold when released creating condensation moisture). N2 will not expand as much as Co2 or plain ole air at temperature meaning you keep a more constant pressure in your tire.

***Our sport requires us to actually take our compressed gas with us on the trail so a bottle of CO2 @ 800lbs per square inch is safer than a bottle of N2 @ 3000 lbs per square inch.

***Our sport requires us to take our compressed gas with us, so the amount we can take with us in the smallest containment vessel possible is important.. a 15lb bottle of Co2 yields far more gas than a 15lb bottle of N2. This way you can bring enough Co2 to run air tools as well as filling your tires. And you can pop a bead back on with Co2 and still have enough to fill all your tires.

***In our sport, moisture in our tires causes about as much concern to us as worrying about getting our rig dirty.

Definitely on the money there. As for the stability thing, look at the type of pressure you're going to have in your tires. Maybe 35 PSI tops. The whole stability thing is a moot point at that type of pressure and what you're using your tires for. An F1 racecar running slicks at 200MPH with massive braking and burnouts, an issue maybe. Offroad tires at 85MPH, pffffft. I wish I had the link of the test a company did on this Nitrogen superiority myth. They tested a bunch of tires filled with standard atmosphere, CO2, and nitrogen in the Arizona desert. Only difference in the CO2 tire, like 10% more humidity, and many people don't know moisture CAN migrate through your tire. So fill a bottle with CO2 and unless it's like minus 35 don't worry about it.

And x2 to your following post HITMONEY
Old 07-19-2008, 01:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Forgot to add, x2 on the bead popping. Did it a few years ago on a friend's truck. CO2 made a tough job take about 30 seconds of HighLifting, 4 seconds of Popping, and 25 seconds of filling. No dice with a compressor.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:03 AM
JK Junkie

Yes, N2 is more stable than Co2 under pressure meaning it doesn't react to temperature differences as much as Co2 does. But for him tell you "can increase tire pressure to dangerous levels when heated" is a lil over the top.

Here is something not over the top.... N2 is stored as a gas at very high pressures.. Co2 is stored as a liquid at much lower pressures. Lower pressures equals lower risk of "BOOM" in say a rollover incident. CO2 also stores more volume because it is stored as a liquid which evaporates and expands into gas as pressure is relieved. N2 stored as a gas yielding less volume.

Good things about N2... N2 molecules are bigger meaning they won't leak or bleed through the rubber as easily as CO2 or O2 or plain ole air. N2 will not release any moisture into your tire from condensation (Co2 is a very dry gas but is very cold when released creating condensation moisture). N2 will not expand as much as Co2 or plain ole air at temperature meaning you keep a more constant pressure in your tire.

What it boils down to... in our sport.. Off-Roading, the positives of using Co2 outweigh both its own negatives and the positives of N2 for these reasons...

Our sport doesn't really need constant tire pressures... high speed racing sports do.

Our sport requires us to actually take our compressed gas with us on the trail so a bottle of CO2 @ 800lbs per square inch is safer than a bottle of N2 @ 3000 lbs per square inch.

Our sport requires us to take our compressed gas with us, so the amount we can take with us in the smallest containment vessel possible is important.. a 15lb bottle of Co2 yields far more gas than a 15lb bottle of N2. This way you can bring enough Co2 to run air tools as well as filling your tires. And you can pop a bead back on with Co2 and still have enough to fill all your tires.

In our sport, moisture in our tires causes about as much concern to us as worrying about getting our rig dirty.

Both gasses work, Co2 just fits the needs of the off-roading sport better.

PS.. don't worry.. if you even have the slightest clue about how to maintain your rig, your tires wont explode.

Working in the compressed gas industry I can say your assesment is spot on. I could tell you stories of missuse from both N2 and Co2 that could scare the living crap out of you.

As for the OP's original question, "Will co2 blow a tire".....the answer is yes and very easy. Co2 while it is considered a low pressure gas if when filling your tires you have the tank on its side or upside down and you are withdrawing liquid from the tank, your tire will blow very quickly. 4oz of liquid co2 will expell 2400 cuft of gas, with the volume of a 35" tire that will equate to about 30 psi (give or take due to varience in sizes).....so in short if you have the tank on its side while filling and you get 6-8 oz of liquid into the tire the pressure could swell to 100 psi or more. As long as the tank is upright you would be fine. As in anything, if used properly Co2 is great for offroaders, if used unsafe it could go bad quickly.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sn4cktime
So fill a bottle with CO2 and unless it's like minus 35 don't worry about it.

And x2 to your following post HITMONEY
I am finalizing my decision between the Powertank and The Source. I live in canada and my temps do go to minus 35 (sometimes for weeks on end). Are you telling me to keep the tank at normal temps (therefore store in my basement and not my unheated garage) or are you telling me that my tire pressure will change dramatically over night when the jeep is sitting outdoors.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BaltChief
Working in the compressed gas industry I can say your assesment is spot on. I could tell you stories of missuse from both N2 and Co2 that could scare the living crap out of you.

As for the OP's original question, "Will co2 blow a tire".....the answer is yes and very easy. Co2 while it is considered a low pressure gas if when filling your tires you have the tank on its side or upside down and you are withdrawing liquid from the tank, your tire will blow very quickly. 4oz of liquid co2 will expell 2400 cuft of gas, with the volume of a 35" tire that will equate to about 30 psi (give or take due to varience in sizes).....so in short if you have the tank on its side while filling and you get 6-8 oz of liquid into the tire the pressure could swell to 100 psi or more. As long as the tank is upright you would be fine. As in anything, if used properly Co2 is great for offroaders, if used unsafe it could go bad quickly.
Great post. Thanks for the safety tip about CO2.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyer415
I am finalizing my decision between the Powertank and The Source. I live in canada and my temps do go to minus 35 (sometimes for weeks on end). Are you telling me to keep the tank at normal temps (therefore store in my basement and not my unheated garage) or are you telling me that my tire pressure will change dramatically over night when the jeep is sitting outdoors.
I will let some of the experts chime in on this one....BUT I use co2 in my tires all the time and on days when the temp drops 20 degrees or so vs. the day before my low pressure light comes on. So I would say that yes if you are in an extremely cold environment but filled up on a warmer day you will notice a little more change in your tire pressure due to the temp
Old 07-23-2008, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know of Power Tank, can anyone provide website info on "The Source"???
Old 07-23-2008, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

...never heard of this group yet they're far less expensive than Power Tank!!

Quick Reply: use of co2