Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Using 4Lo while offroad?

Old 06-24-2008, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using 4Lo while offroad?

Ok, so I have searched the forum, and searched online, and I can't find any good summary of when it is better to use 4Lo versus 4Hi.

Seeing as I do not know the answer...

When should you really use 4Lo? Is it ok to shift into 4Lo while drving offroad in 4Hi?
Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should use it any time when low speed is required, you will have much better control. It's great for inclines and tight spaces. If you have the 6-speed it will save your clutch and help keep you from stalling as well.

I use 4 high for normal driving when extra traction is required, like on the highway when covered in snow, or when I can travel at least 20mph offroad. All other times I use 4Lo. Jeeps like to crawl!

Oh, and only shift in or out of it while going 1-5mph or less and in neutral.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

4 lo is a good gear to check out your 4 wheel action also. put it in 4 lo and 1st gear, get out and walk around the vehicle as it crawls through the sand or whatever.....and check out the wheel movement. you should see each tire doing its work. it goes so slow that you could take a nap in it....well....you get the idea.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smelt_1
4 lo is a good gear to check out your 4 wheel action also. put it in 4 lo and 1st gear, get out and walk around the vehicle as it crawls through the sand or whatever.....and check out the wheel movement. you should see each tire doing its work. it goes so slow that you could take a nap in it....well....you get the idea.
I don't think that's good advice to give newbies who will be out by themselves or a bud after having too many buds.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:01 AM
JK Junkie

a quick guide to look at.. From Jeep's site. Not saying it is the best, but it gives you an idea

http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/off_road_guide/
Old 06-25-2008, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Am I the only one that does this walkaround test? I guess I've been around the block too many times

Really....try it....but in a flat area. I'm sure someone here can figure out the mph for us It is under 1 mph I believe.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Smelt_1
ghost ride the wrangler?
Old 06-25-2008, 07:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

as mentioned, any time you need to go over an obstacle or length of trail slowly, 4LO is what you want to be in. on some trails, i find that 4LO is pretty much the only thing i'm in all day. again, as mentioned, 4LO will allow you to 'crawl' over obstacles giving you control and traction and amazing engine braking coming down steep sections of trail. in fact, the only time i find that i use 4HI is pretty much when driving on snowy/icy roads or fast over loose surfaces (fire/mine roads or fast through sandy desert washes).
Old 06-25-2008, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ive done the walk aroun test, It really freaks the passenger out though.

Do this, Jump out, open the tailgate and get you and the pasenger a bud.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

when you say bud, are you referring to a non bloomed flower, or a beer?

my girlfriend prefers bloomed flowers. I personally dont recommend drinking beer on the trail, or anywhere when there is driving, or thinking involved.

Quick Reply: Using 4Lo while offroad?