Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Using 4Lo while offroad?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like most everybody else said use 4Lo below 20 mph. In Sand use high unless you need the lockers or not going that fast.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet...Thanks for all of the quick replies!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

How often is everyone using 1st or 2nd gear in 4 lo on the automatic?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Smelt_1
Am I the only one that does this walkaround test? I guess I've been around the block too many times

Really....try it....but in a flat area. I'm sure someone here can figure out the mph for us It is under 1 mph I believe.
I measured it with my GPS once. If I remember correctly it was something like 0.6 mph (non-Rubi)... Very slow and slow enough to walk with.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Am I the only one that does this walkaround test? I guess I've been around the block too many times

Really....try it....but in a flat area. I'm sure someone here can figure out the mph for us It is under 1 mph I believe.
I laughed when I read about doing this as I had done it years ago. I had a 74 Ford F250 4x4 with a Detroit Locker in the rear and another type of locker up front. Put it in Granny 1st up against a concrete abutment and you could get out and watch it as all 4 wheels turned.

There was nothing fancy about that old truck but it went places other vehicles failed to go because of the lockers. It always amused me when Toyota Land Cruisers would charge a hill, get halfway up and have to back down. And this old ugly F250 woul;d walk up at an idle in Granny 1st/Low Range.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:40 PM
JK Freak

Don't know if you saw this yet, but here's a thread from back in May along the same topic:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/4-lo-4-high-42188/
Old 07-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Ben
JK Freak

I have done this before, in fact if you do it in a mud hole just right, you can watch your bld's work from the outside without the jeep stalling, I need to make a vid of it, then when you hop back in, just give it more gas to clear the mud off of tires, and pull out of the hole! Just don't get in a deep hole! shallow and slick with sra's works best, man those tires suck!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepnoob
How often is everyone using 1st or 2nd gear in 4 lo on the automatic?
I guess a lot of that depends on where you are located. In the Colorado Utah area where you have lots of rocks and rock shelfs to climb up and down you will use 1st and 2nd quite a bit. 1st gives you a lot of control and you tend not to break thinks and when decending can stay off your brakes. But then if you get on a smoother section of trail put it in D until you need to go slower and have more control.

When I was young and dumb and afflicted with testosterone poisening I went too fast and did things like bend D44 axles and such.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

put it in 4 lo and 1st gear, get out and walk around the vehicle as it crawls through the sand or whatever......
My friend in college used to do this with his jeep, and walk beside it holding the steering wheel. Called it "taking the jeep for a walk. Got's lots of confused looks, and enjoyed them.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Another question, excuse the newbness- Do I need to shift out of 4lo to turn the vehicle off? I guess what im asking is if we stop on the trail for some reason do I need to shift out of 4wd (hi or lo) in order to stop and restart the jeep?

Quick Reply: Using 4Lo while offroad?