Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Using Lockers

Old 07-07-2008, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Lockers

This is my 5th Jeep, but my first with lockers. I always enjoyed trying to get places without lockers, when other people used theirs. Usually I was successful.
I have the factory rear lockers.
Do you leave them on all the time you are off road, or only when you actually need them.
Tom
Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 PM
JK Super Freak

If you're in loose sand, dirt or rocks there's no harm in keeping your rear locked. You'll have all the traction when you need it. Conversely, there are guys in our local club who stay in 4HI as long as possible. If they loose traction, they back up and work the transfer case.

I was like you, wheel'n with open diff's until now. The thing I love most is the control. You don't have to get into the skinny peddle as much. You just keep on plodding along.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you leave a selectable rear locker on all the time you will find that it will push you out of turns, fighting against your steering. It is your choice if you prefer to leave it engaged most of the time and switch it off for tight turns or leave it off and engage it when you need it.

You only really need to use your rear locker when you are reasonably certain that a wheel will break traction in the terrain ahead. The locker stops all the power going to the spinning wheel and allows the wheel with traction to get power. Knowing how to read the terrain ahead plays a big part in knowing when to use your locker.

This video was taken of my wife driving her manual TJ on the Rubicon last month. She tends to drive with lockers off, engaging them only when needed. She has yet to break a UJ or shaft. Watch how her front tire spins on the rock until the point that she engages her front locker. It will give you a good idea of the traction advantage a locker provides. High quality mode will show the tire tread spinning better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG0LynGvKaQ

Quick Reply: Using Lockers