Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

West coast snow wheeling....chains

Old 01-16-2012, 12:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default West coast snow wheeling....chains

So, I admit to being a n00b when it comes to jeepin in the white stuff... I have been out twice now, and have had a near death experience x2. When I was asking for advice on chains, most people stated "naw, you don't need chains" and I went with that.
The first time out, the snow caught us by surprise, and when it came to a sketchy part of the trail, there was nothing to be done about it but soldier on.
The second time out, the word was, this is easy fire service road stuff...nothing to worry about.
Today, I went to the local tire shop and spent $150 for a pair of heavy duty chains and thats when I realized... much like a winch, a first aid kit, or spare food/water you don't need it untill you need it. Tragically, when you realize you need chains, its probably too late.
I'm setting my pride off to the side, and dispensing with the indestructable self delusion. Sliding sideways or backwards towards a cliff with my foot on the brake scares the crap outta me, and I promise, its not going to happen again.
For those of you that question whether or not you need chains, drop the money and toss them in the jeep. You may never use them, but if you need them, you'll be awful glad they are there.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	265510 Imagine this trail with 3 inches of slick snow....
Old 01-16-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

DUDE! I dont know if i would drive that road on a warm sunny day, holy sh!t!

I'm looking around for chains right now. Last year we had a snow storm, there is only one way in and one way out of or neighborhood. It STEEP and treacherous, 20 foot gorge drop on one side.
Every year its a nightmare when it snows. Last year my wife calls me stuck on the middle of that hill, 100 cars waiting behind her and it was dark, you couldnt see 10 feet because of the howling snow and wind. She drive a Mercedes. I jumped in the jeep and made it there in a few minutes freaking out. She was on the phone panicking. I had to walk up the hill and there were dudes standing all around telling her to just let off the brake and go. I jumped in the drivers seat and made her get out in case I went over the edge. Every time I released the brake the car slid sideways closer to the edge. It was sheer ice. I finally let off the brake and got a little steering traction back and just went for it. Made it down but thought I was gonna have a heart attack.

I'm looking for chains! Never again!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have personally found that the New Cable (Chains) work better than the old loose fitting Chains of the Past. The Cables fit much closer/tighter to the Tire and there is nothing loose. There is a much better feeling at the Wheel while traveling on the Slick Stuff.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:46 PM
JK Freak

I live in the SoCAl Mnts at 6000+ feet. I hate chains and it is rare i use them but with the hills and winding roads they sure do help contol ur JK. I am from Michigan and hell never even thought of using chains back there it's funny they were not even talked about much and i don't remember anyone having them. The police here wont let you up the mountain without them on or at least in ur vehicle.......
Old 01-16-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't know if its extra moisture content from the Pacific or something, but west coast snow is harder to drive on then anywhere else i've ever been.
I had to ask the guy at the tire store how to put the damned things on, haven't monkeyed with chains in 20 years. Just tired of the pucker factor on the trails.
The above photo is the same trail we went on for my first snow wheeling trip; you cant tell from the pic, but that section and the one past it are both off camber as well. I got out and winched the jeep at a small incline because every time I tried and failed the jeep slid backwards and a little closer to the edge.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:48 PM
JK Jedi

[QUOTE=bubba_zenetti;2801023....East coast/midwest/Canadian snow is effing cold and it is almost like hard and powdery. Its actually pretty easy to drive on that kind of snow vs slushy ice mix.[/QUOTE]

Unless of course you have solid ice underneath it WHEREVER YOU GO...!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nwapache
So, I admit to being a n00b when it comes to jeepin in the white stuff... I have been out twice now, and have had a near death experience x2. When I was asking for advice on chains, most people stated "naw, you don't need chains" and I went with that.
The first time out, the snow caught us by surprise, and when it came to a sketchy part of the trail, there was nothing to be done about it but soldier on.
The second time out, the word was, this is easy fire service road stuff...nothing to worry about.
Today, I went to the local tire shop and spent $150 for a pair of heavy duty chains and thats when I realized... much like a winch, a first aid kit, or spare food/water you don't need it untill you need it. Tragically, when you realize you need chains, its probably too late.
I'm setting my pride off to the side, and dispensing with the indestructable self delusion. Sliding sideways or backwards towards a cliff with my foot on the brake scares the crap outta me, and I promise, its not going to happen again.
For those of you that question whether or not you need chains, drop the money and toss them in the jeep. You may never use them, but if you need them, you'll be awful glad they are there.Attachment 265510 Imagine this trail with 3 inches of slick snow....
What air pressure were you running? I learned to go much lower than I thought I should on snow runs. Check out this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEcKDMc7Ahc

I think it is about 4 min in you will see a black JK sliding backwards just as you describe. I had just been through here without problem. Difference? He was running 20psi and I was down at 7. Another suggestion is to have your tires siped. This will definitely help. BTW I'm in the silver JK with red gas containers on the back that you'll see near the end of the vid.

I agree that chains are good to have for a backup but you really shouldn't need them unless it is really steep or icy. No one on this trip used them.

Last edited by jam session; 01-24-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: fix link
Old 01-24-2012, 10:18 AM
JK Super Freak

First trip out, I was all the way down to 6psi and still having issues. Siping would be a bonus, I just felt it was a good idea to post up about carrying chains for snow runs....
Old 01-24-2012, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That should have done it, though some of the guys were running as low as 2PSI. You must have been on the really slick, just above freezing snow we get most every snow run when in the transition from below to above the freezing level. Had a lot of those conditions in town last week with the freezing rain on top of snow.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Not to mention, my pucker factor kicks in during low speed long fall death scenarios....other people I wheel with have a higher tolerance than I do in those situations.
Am thinking about running up to Walker this weekend.... post up in NW forum if you can make it out.

Quick Reply: West coast snow wheeling....chains