Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

When is it time to worry about strap wear?

Old 10-05-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is it time to worry about strap wear?

I hooked up an old 1 1/2" webbed tow strap to a bothersome bush in the front yard yesterday and gave it a small yank and it snapped about a foot from the far end, I thought it was going to bust the grill but the piece of carpet I layed accross it absorbed most of the energy.
I then took a closer look at my "big" strap ( a 2" x 30' ) and noticed that the stiching that is at the end is comming loose. The main stiching that connects the webbing together looks fine. I shold also say that this strap is primarily used in the snow not mud and if it looks dirty I put it in the washing maching and air dry it.
I'm wondering if the damaged portion will be a weak spot or is it thereClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5364.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	31077

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5365.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	31078 as added protection from tow hook wear and not a "structial" point.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

Get rid of it and get a new one. I use slings, lifting straps and harnesses at work, and do pre-job inspections on everything. I would have thrown out that strap at the first sign of wear, long before it got to the point that it is now.

Look at it this way - you already had one strap let go on you - why take the chance with the bigger one?

JD
Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Its time for a new one when:

- Something torn, or worn out.

- When you start having doubts about the safety of your equipment which your life can be depend on it.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could see if it were a shovel we were talkin about but this is a safety item. For the cost vs. Death get a new one
Old 10-05-2009, 02:05 PM
JK Freak

Yea, thats kinda what I was thinking too. Just an unexpected expense, bummer.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

How about a snatch strap, used in the following situations, how many cycles, if it still appears OK:

1. stretched and rebounded as designed, to pull a vehicle out.

2. used to pull a vehicle out without the stretch and rebound.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:26 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

They really aren't that expensive, especially when compared to what happens when they fail. Get a new one at the first sign of wear, loose stitching, abrasions, cuts, tears, frayed ends, etc. Dirty is okay, but lots of sand and rocks embedded in it that won't wash out are probably cutting away at the fibers on the inside. It's hard to determine the elasticity, but you can figure that if you can't really remember when you bought it or how often you used it, it's probably time for a new one.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When it breaks and near bout take your grill out, I'd say it's time for a new one. Course you could always do like Bubba and tie a knot in it and keep pullin.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:27 AM
JK Freak

scrap it for wheeling and use it for yard work. repair it by tying a double or triple fishermans knot. It will still last for years for lighter loads but don't use it for recovery or heavy loads. They are inexpensive at tractor supply and you could get a new one, made in canada, for anywhere from 15-30 $. I'd use it for something though, everything has a use.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scrap the the strap for safety reasons...

Also it good practice to never use a hook. If it would ever break free the hook will turn into a missile and take out anything in its path....

Quick Reply: When is it time to worry about strap wear?