Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Who is just carrying a "power-puller"/come along instead of a winch?

Old 09-21-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is just carrying a "power-puller"/come along instead of a winch?

Hey Gang,

I have a winch on our 08 that I fab'd a custom behind bumper bracket so it's hidden except for the fairlead.

And it works very well

On our new 12 Rubi, I am not too jazzed about putting a winch on it. Due to the E-Disco, duplicating what I made for our 08 is impossible. I am really trying to avoid adding tons of weight to the 12 since this is going to be the "gentelmen's jeep". The stuff everywhere/zombie apocalypse duties are left to the 08.

Except for dragging my sons buried F-150 the entire length of the cable + short strap out of our soaked South Central PA Clay when he took the back way to the barn, it has been a game of inches for any self-pull

Thumbing through some back issues of JP, I came across an add for Wyeth Scott and their "power puller" Essentially a come-along with synth rope, cast iron body and 6,000 lb dead lift which is 12,000 lb pull.

It's US made and costs $260 for the "3 Ton More Power PullerŽ" w/35' of 5/16" Amsteel Blue Rope and safety latches on all 3 hooks.

I can keep that in the back, or fab a compartment above the sway bar e-disco and it only weighs 27lbs.

Is anyone running with one of these and what have your impressions been?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-21-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Default Handy tool....

Even if you already have a winch, this would make an excellent back-up tool... Too many uses to list.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks intriguing. I'm guessing you add a standard iron pipe, 1 1/4" schedule 40 or something for a handle. Just estimating from the picture, the mechanical advantage using say a 72" pipe handle and the spool being around 3" in radius, looks to be 24:1, so if you can muster 100 lb of force at the end of the handle, you can develop 2400 lb of pull, probably plenty to get unstuck, or traverse a small mogul or something. However, I wouldn't plan on trying to drag a 2 ton jeep up an incline or out of deep ditch. You'd wear out before you got very far.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own one. I haven't had to really use it in the field yet but it goes with me on trips. Someone else had another thread going for this sort of input. Here is the link:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ich-Come-Along

The power puller is a beast compared to my old one from a hardware store. Should last forever. I got a nicer one with the synthetic rope for a little weight savings and easier to maintain than the cable. If you do order one, I recommend buying the extra handle and handle extension for easier pulling and just in case.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:14 AM
JK Jedi

I haven't used the exact come along you posted, but have used HD ones almost just like it. They are a super nice piece of gear with all kinds of uses. Even using those cheap come alongs you can buy, I have gotten out of a lot of touchy situations. So that fine piece of gear should be more than enough to get a jk unstuck from just about anything.

Last edited by AK4Dave; 09-22-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if I had a winch, I'd still carry my come-along. I think these little workhorses are often scoffed at by too many people who don't know what they're missing.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

As has already been said, it's a great backup to your winch and probably all you need if you're a stocker doing mild off-road.

If you want to bring the cost down, the cheapest Wyeth Scott is their 2 ton with 20' of 5/16" wire rope and open hooks. Less than $200.

For my money, I'd go to their best for about another $50. It's the one mjstel shows a picture of. It's 3 ton with 35' of synthetic rope and closed hooks.

With it, add a snatch strap, a tow strap, a tree saver and a couple D-rings and you're ready for almost anything you'd take a stock JK into.

Pretty good bang for the buck.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by johnrb3b
As has already been said, it's a great backup to your winch and probably all you need if you're a stocker doing mild off-road.

If you want to bring the cost down, the cheapest Wyeth Scott is their 2 ton with 20' of 5/16" wire rope and open hooks. Less than $200.

For my money, I'd go to their best for about another $50. It's the one mjstel shows a picture of. It's 3 ton with 35' of synthetic rope and closed hooks.

With it, add a snatch strap, a tow strap, a tree saver and a couple D-rings and you're ready for almost anything you'd take a stock JK into.

Pretty good bang for the buck.
HMMM, I now know what to ask for for Christmas! I definately need one of these since I have absolutely no recovery gear and drive a 2WD Jeep
Old 10-02-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If all you need is the odd "tug" to get yourself out of a situation where you're high-centered, that should work fine...but it's no substitute for a real winch when the going gets tough.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by w squared
If all you need is the odd "tug" to get yourself out of a situation where you're high-centered, that should work fine...but it's no substitute for a real winch when the going gets tough.
You obviously don't know that they make REAL big come alongs......

Quick Reply: Who is just carrying a "power-puller"/come along instead of a winch?