Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

why a recovery strap and not a chain?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put it this way, when a fabric strap breaks, nothing happens. If a chain breaks, the ends now become projectiles. Google it. There are plenty of news stories about guys using chains, and when they snap, the hooks fly through the back windows and kill drivers/passengers. And when people say, oh well i see tow truck drivers using chains, the difference is they're professionals that do it every day, and their equipment isn't the same as ours. Use a strap, that way snapping it won't be the last mistake you make . . . .
Old 01-23-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK_R&D
Put it this way, when a fabric strap breaks, nothing happens. If a chain breaks, the ends now become projectiles. Google it. There are plenty of news stories about guys using chains, and when they snap, the hooks fly through the back windows and kill drivers/passengers. And when people say, oh well i see tow truck drivers using chains, the difference is they're professionals that do it every day, and their equipment isn't the same as ours. Use a strap, that way snapping it won't be the last mistake you make . . . .
Well said!! Chains can be very dangerous...
Old 01-23-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK_R&D
Put it this way, when a fabric strap breaks, nothing happens.
Where on earth did you hear that? Ive had a recovery strap break AND IT CAME BACK LIKE A RUBBER BAND!!! It creased the front of the hood (which should have been raised), broke out the grill and tore off the passenger windshield wiper! (and scared the shit out of me)

I now have a healthy respect for straps.

Last edited by msquaredIN; 01-23-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:26 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by msquaredIN

Where on earth did you hear that? Ive had a recovery strap break AND IT CAME BACK LIKE A RUBBER BAND!!! It creased the front of the hood (which should have been raised), broke out the grill and tore off the passenger windshield wiper! (and scared the shit out of me)

They do snap back but not with much force because it's light. If what the strap is attached to breaks and turns into a projectile you're in trouble.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Winch FTW...
Old 01-23-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msquaredIN

It all depends on which straps you are using. Poly straps do not stretch and have no snap back if broken. Nylon straps are made to stretch like a rubber band to help with yanking, when they break they can whip back like a rubber band.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1BAMFR
Winch FTW...
Winches are great but a failing winch cable is probably more dangerous than a breaking chain and a strap combined!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Chains will always fail in a catastrophic manner, unlike a good strap which will have an indicator typically a red thread, which will appear when the strap has been stretched beyond its designed load, the chain is unlikely to signs of stress, it will just break.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

You use straps because of the stored energy they hold when you're yanking out. When the load is applied to your vehicle, it is not going to your transmission. You will be using the kinetic energy stored in your vehicle only and you may make some substantial savings on half-shafts, central diffs and gearboxes in general. Basically, it's easier on your Jeep.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EzK

They do snap back but not with much force because it's light. If what the strap is attached to breaks and turns into a projectile you're in trouble.
I agree a strap is way safer than chain but was refuting that when it breaks " nothing happens". Misinformation like that will get some hurt or killed!

Yes it depends on the strap and in the case I mentioned we were misusing a strap BUT someone could have been killed (not to mention my poor grill, hood and wipers)

Quick Reply: why a recovery strap and not a chain?