Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

why a recovery strap and not a chain?

Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why a recovery strap and not a chain?

I have a warn tow chain with hooks on either end, and I ve used it repeatedly to pull out stuck vehicles. These are street vehicles, and Ive pulled them out of snow, mud, holes. My thought,is if it breaks, it will just fall to the ground (I still throw a blanket over it). Why do we all use straps on the trail?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Junkie

More times than not the chain won't just fall to the ground. It has to do with safety. Would you rather a chain busting and metal shrapnel slice you open or with tow straps/synthetic lines just busting and thats that. I'd say you were lucky depending on the load that the chains didn't snap...it's a BIG BIG no no to tow, pull, anything with a heavy load with chains.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

i thought when chains break they snap back... could be wrong though
Old 01-23-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Theres also a chance of the chains breaking and the hook/chains becoming a very deadly projectile. the extra money for a tow strap without hooks well outweighs the chance of someones life or damage that may occur
Old 01-23-2012, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

2x All of the above, and I will add that a strap weighs a hell of a lot less than some big heavy chains. "Chains r bad m'kay?"
Old 01-23-2012, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chians break and kill people/damage things. Also straps are much much stronger, lighter, easier easier to stow. A 1/2 in chain is only rated for 9,200lbs were a decent tow strap is rated for 15,000 lbs. Tow straps also fuction as tie downs easily when you need.

There is two different types of straps as well.
-Polyester only has about 2% stretch for 100% load. Less stretch means less chance of whipback. Also provides a more even predictable pull. Best choice for towing.
-Nylon has about 10% stretch for 100% load. The snatch effect provides extra force to pull a stuck vehical. Best choice for recovery.

Also make sure you get one with sewn in tow loops and not hooks. Almost every accident is caused by hooks breaking or slipping off. Strap loops are much more reliable.

I have this one, it is rated for 30,000 lbs.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 01-23-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't(should not) yank with a chain. Sometimes you need the momentum of a tank to recover a vehicle that is badly stuck or if the recovery vehicle is on a slick surface. Therefore straps are 99% recommended.

I don't know about them launching projectiles but at work we use chains to pull a 20,000 GMC 6500 out of the mud with an f450(it gets stuck a lot). No breakage. On my jeep I use straps for weight and the ability to snatch.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not yanking , and the hooks come in handy since these have all been cars and trucks without recovery points. Chains are used all the time on farms, logging, etc.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Strength, weight, bright yellow colors for safety. The hoops fit nicely over a shackle or pin. If you roll or have a cargo toss, the strap doesn't hurt like a 50 lb. chain when it hits your head. Chains have been used for years, if you like 'em use 'em. My grandpa had tons of chain from running a tow truck. You are talking old school and the chains are easier to weather against rain, mud, rock and AG uses. A strap wouldn't last in that environment, especially being used everyday. I quit using a hook on a strap back in '95 when I had one break and fly at my face, siting in the truck. It makes your A$$ pucker pretty good. Luckily it went flying over the roof. I think that a strap feels safer if it breaks and won't hurt as bad. Something nauseating about getting hurt by cold steel.

Last edited by IKE2011; 01-23-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I would never let anyone pull me with a chain or a strap with metal hooks!

Quick Reply: why a recovery strap and not a chain?