Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Why You SHould Air-Down Offroad

Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I both have bad backs so we always air down to soften things up a bit; in our YJ it is a MUST. If we are just running fire roads I'll go to maybe 20, which is barely less than I run on the street. If we are doing some hard core(ish) rock crawling I'll go to 12 in the front and 8 or 10 in the rear. This usually gives us a ton of traction and saves me from having to use the lockers a lot. I'd rather run everything open, then if I get stuck I still have a couple button pushes to help out before I need to pull the winch.

And, just in case anyone is thinking "Why two different pressures"? Simple, the front tires are turning in the rocks; you need a little bit more pressure to keep the bead. The rears are just going in straight lines, so less pressure is fine. I don't do mud or sand so I can't really speak to those arenas, though I know in sand you want wheel speed and large contact patch so I'd say the same pressures in 4Hi would probably be good... But again, I'm not sure.

GJeep, you're lucky to live where you do. I loved my time over there last year for work. I was stoked when I got to add the Medit to my list of Oceans/Seas I've surfed.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default on board air

Originally Posted by Cascade Wanderer
Good basic article. Well illustrated.

I've been doing this for a long time - but not long ago I flat out forgot to air down. Took me a while to figure out why the doggone JK ride felt so rough, and why I was getting a little wheelspin here and there on the rocks... Duh! Solved those problems real fast with a quick air-down.

I need to set up some sort of on-board air system to re-inflate my tires.

CW
Quick solution for yuore onboard air problem Warn dualforce powerplant got youre winch & air compressor, no extra wiring, no switches, no finding a place to mount compressor & tank. Plus you get to hear guys say you overpaid for youre winch.

Quick Reply: Why You SHould Air-Down Offroad