Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.
Sponsored by CARiD
Click Here

Winch

Old 08-07-2018, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the smittybily 10k x20 with synthetic. Less weight from the line, waterproof and reasonable price. Plus the size. I installed it on an ARB bull bar that fits like a glove. The bull bar directions and the ARB techs said you need to cut the frame horns, but this winch is smaller than warns and didn't require any cutting.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 86 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001 View Post
I don't own a HF winch, and I would say you get what you pay for, but if you're stuck in a situation, I'll still believe that you have a fighting chance of a self recovery with a piece of shit HF winch on the front of your jeep than you do with no winch. I would also submit someone with knowledge of recoveries could do a better job with a HF at their disposal than someone that knows nothing about recovery can do with a Warn, so everything is relative.
^^^ Agree.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resharp001 View Post
I don't own a HF winch, and I would say you get what you pay for, but if you're stuck in a situation, I'll still believe that you have a fighting chance of a self recovery with a piece of shit HF winch on the front of your jeep than you do with no winch. I would also submit someone with knowledge of machinery repair could do a better job with a HF at their disposal than someone that knows nothing about recovery can do with a Warn, so everything is relative.
Fixed that for ya.... ;-) I absolutely understand what you're trying to get across, and I agree that a monkey with a brand new Zeon is less likely to get out than someone with experience with a cheap winch, but I don't know what experience has to do with it if the planetary grenades, or the solenoids decide to weld shut. If you can get a better built unit with some semblance of QC (even if it comes from the same factory) for a dinner out or two more I can't fathom why anyone would consider going with the less reliable one, just like I cant fathom why anyone who cant swing a $350 winch would be buying a $300 winch. YMMV though.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:20 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 244 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by MountainWhisky View Post
Fixed that for ya.... ;-) I absolutely understand what you're trying to get across, and I agree that a monkey with a brand new Zeon is less likely to get out than someone with experience with a cheap winch, but I don't know what experience has to do with it if the planetary grenades, or the solenoids decide to weld shut. If you can get a better built unit with some semblance of QC (even if it comes from the same factory) for a dinner out or two more I can't fathom why anyone would consider going with the less reliable one, just like I cant fathom why anyone who cant swing a $350 winch would be buying a $300 winch. YMMV though.
Planetary gears that have yet to explode are still better than no planetary gears. . I don't disagree with you in general though in regards to buying something decent. My "decent" was the X20. It's worked good for me, and gets used a good bit cuz I pick such crappy lines

Quick Reply: Winch

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: