Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Winching angle...

Old 12-16-2009, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goldtr8
Your trail leadership skills are coming into question with these admissions of getting stuck
That maybe true but we gave it a good try and didn't break anything

And the FJ that did lets say had some problems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VWmuCYergo
Old 12-17-2009, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As stated above try to pull as straight as possible the more the angle ie. more than 45 degrees or even more than straight for that matter the will reduce SWL or safe working load of the wire rope. When using a snatch block as a fairlead you want to keep it as straight as possible. You can sometimes overcome this by ensuring the wirerope has a SWL greater than what you need but the greater the angle the more the percentage of your SWL drops. Also be aware things like endless slings and sythetic winchline will degrade with UV exposure so keep track of you gear and ensure its in good shape before each use. I want to say the folks who we buy our slings from at work lost 50 percent of there breaking strenth after 1 year of UV exposure. Just something to keep in mind. Sorry for being so long winded but if you winch smart you will be fine.

Kris
Old 12-17-2009, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

So maybe someone can help me here. I have seen that a use for a snatch block is to change the winching direction, but if you need to do that, wouldnt you be able to just hook the winch to where the Snatch block would be anchored?
Old 12-17-2009, 04:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.warn.com/corporate/images...US.readers.pdf
Old 12-17-2009, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

No prob. The paper copy showed up yesterday WITH MY WARN WINCHING KIT!!! Now if the actual 9.5ti would just show up I'll be really excited!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:34 PM
JK Junkie

I'm a little confused by the above. Are the symbols all accurate? Because in #1 above I'm wondering if > and o are reversed.

Anyway, I was going to post this information today so thanks for bumping this thread:

I have a close friend, actually, also retired Air Force (`85-`09), who spent all 24 years around aircrafts (including SR-71 in its day). He's also a big car nut. We got to chatting about winches and wire v. synthetic. He said in all his years, he's NEVER seen a cable break. And also that they use MUCH thinner cables than "your crowd does."

He said there's no reason to think a winch cable couldn't last forever if not abused. Comforting info that I wanted to share.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adamisadam
I'm a little confused by the above. Are the symbols all accurate? Because in #1 above I'm wondering if > and o are reversed.

Anyway, I was going to post this information today so thanks for bumping this thread:

I have a close friend, actually, also retired Air Force (`85-`09), who spent all 24 years around aircrafts (including SR-71 in its day). He's also a big car nut. We got to chatting about winches and wire v. synthetic. He said in all his years, he's NEVER seen a cable break. And also that they use MUCH thinner cables than "your crowd does."

He said there's no reason to think a winch cable couldn't last forever if not abused. Comforting info that I wanted to share.
Our biggest nemisis will be rust and corrosion. As we dont slush our cable for the obvious messy reason. Now we should pay attention to broken wires in lays and birds nesting and any obvious stretching or disfigurement of the cable. I have broke alot bigger on a 15ton crane because of improper maintenance. I should have looked at the wire rope alot closer before just jumping behind the controls.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Junkie

I was thinking of putting some motor oil on a rag and running that along the cable when I unwind it and rewind it under tension. This way i'd coat it all. what do think?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adamisadam
I was thinking of putting some motor oil on a rag and running that along the cable when I unwind it and rewind it under tension. This way i'd coat it all. what do think?

I thought about that too... I also thought about this product that I have from the motorcycle days.
I used this stuff called chain wax that is in a spray can. Used this on the chain and it apparently has some waxy component to it so it does not come off.
Do you think this would work too?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dog Doc
I thought about that too... I also thought about this product that I have from the motorcycle days.
I used this stuff called chain wax that is in a spray can. Used this on the chain and it apparently has some waxy component to it so it does not come off.
Do you think this would work too?

I know just what you're referring to about the chain lube. It doesn't fly off the minute you drive.

I emailed my contact at Warn to ask his advice on what, if anything, to put on the cable. He's out until Monday, but I'll post his reply when he returns.

Quick Reply: Winching angle...